Something I'm struggling with...

This is not a new issue as already mentioned. I remember in the darkroom with a nice paper holder I had that included 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 sizes and of course those were some of the normal paper sizes, so I was often having to crop when using that paper holder. Only if I used an adjustable holder was I able to maintain the full 3x2 aspect ratio, but even then I often preferred to use the full paper size as opposed to the full image size. Of course now I often have to crop to the 16:9 ratio to fill the TV screen and that is still harder for me to think about when taking a shot vs an 8x10 crop.

Now when I print, it usually stays at the 3x2 ratio with landscape and I often crop to 5x7 or 8x10 for portrait. For a metal print you may well be restricted by what your print lab will do, but for paper it is usually easy to have it printed and leave a white border above and below. The mat will usually look best when it covers a bit of the print and does not show any white border of the print, so that is a bit more of the image you can lose when framing.

I still remember a great aunt that had a picture she took of the Giant Sequoia with the tunnel - it was turned into a postcard and the negative was the same postcard size. Somewhere I have one of the postcards with that negative.

Depending on what you're looking to do with your prints...size, how you plan to use them, etc., I have to agree with the comments regarding just cropping the print. As far as the prints themselves go, it's not that hard to trim a print...all you really need is a straight edge, a good utility knife and a place to work (a piece of plywood on top of the kitchen table for example). It's the other stuff that can be a little trickier...

I do tend to do a lot of critter portraits, so I can get often away with the stock 8 x 10 mattes and frames, but there are times when it's unavoidable...sometimes you just end up with an odd size crop. Custom framing is certainly an option...if you're only looking to do a couple of your prints, depending on where you go, it's not usually too expensive...here in Northern Ohio we have crafting stores like Pat Catan's that are pretty reasonable (at least compared with custom framing shops). If you have several to frame however, it might be worth learning to do it yourself. Since I occasionally display my work at exhibitions, I found it worthwhile to make a modest investment in stuff like matte cutters and such (available at many crafting stores and not too expensive) and I even broke down and built my own cutting table for this (although I still use the kitchen table for LARGE prints/projects, LOL). And doing frames isn't really that difficult...many crafting stores sell frame kits that you can cut to size or with a decent miter saw, you can often make your own from molding and such that can be quite lovely. In fact, I'll often get used frames from flea markets, garage sales, etc., and just re-cut the frames and mattes to size. When the one company my wife worked for went out of business, I snagged some very nice framed poster sized prints for .50¢ a piece....it's a great way to actively recycle :).
If you're really intent on doing it in camera/processing, the best suggestion I can make is simply to zoom out a little and leave room for cropping, however if you tend to be a bit prolific as I often am, it might just be time to either do it yourself or at least establish a dialog with a framing shop.

BTW...be it a lab or framing shop, etc., don't be afraid to talk to them about any issues or concerns you may have. If you're paying someone to do such work for you, you should be satisfied with that work and they should be willing to address your concerns. If your "lab" ONLY offers certain print sizes and demands your prints be formatted for those sizes, then find another lab that will work with you....and the same goes for a framing shop - they should be able to cut/custom to any size you need.

Just my own opinions.

Last edited:
definitely shoot loose to leave room for the crop if that is the case.

i prefer to print 8x12 if possible since that is the original crop of my camera, I think that is a really nice size. i buy the mcs format frames in 8X12 very minimal frame around the photos which i like and there a few bucks each at B&H or you can get 6 packs of them on amazon.,

you can get a 11x14 floating frame and float your 8x12. or mat a 11x14 frame to 8x12. there are also a few other types of 8x12 frames you can get on amazon.com.

here is a photo of my MCS 8x12 frames and some sort of 12x15 frame that i float my 11x14 photo in, the floating frames are cool cus you can see the wall behind the photo.

12274378_10201137911326106_3518306295697081530_n.jpg

I appreciate all of the comments but I'm looking for tips on how to judge In Camera-- how loose to shoot. And maybe it's just practice. I can choose 4:3 in camera but it seems to only work in live view. My current lens arsenal goes from 16 and jumps to 28. Both the above are shot at 28. Does this make sense? It's like I can't judge how loose to shoot while looking through the viewfinder. I wish I could get an overlay in there.

Depending on what you're looking to do with your prints...size, how you plan to use them, etc., I have to agree with the comments regarding just cropping the print. As far as the prints themselves go, it's not that hard to trim a print...all you really need is a straight edge, a good utility knife and a place to work (a piece of plywood on top of the kitchen table for example). It's the other stuff that can be a little trickier...

I do tend to do a lot of critter portraits, so I can get often away with the stock 8 x 10 mattes and frames, but there are times when it's unavoidable...sometimes you just end up with an odd size crop. Custom framing is certainly an option...if you're only looking to do a couple of your prints, depending on where you go, it's not usually too expensive...here in Northern Ohio we have crafting stores like Pat Catan's that are pretty reasonable (at least compared with custom framing shops). If you have several to frame however, it might be worth learning to do it yourself. Since I occasionally display my work at exhibitions, I found it worthwhile to make a modest investment in stuff like matte cutters and such (available at many crafting stores and not too expensive) and I even broke down and built my own cutting table for this (although I still use the kitchen table for LARGE prints/projects, LOL). And doing frames isn't really that difficult...many crafting stores sell frame kits that you can cut to size or with a decent miter saw, you can often make your own from molding and such that can be quite lovely. In fact, I'll often get used frames from flea markets, garage sales, etc., and just re-cut the frames and mattes to size. When the one company my wife worked for went out of business, I snagged some very nice framed poster sized prints for .50¢ a piece....it's a great way to actively recycle :).
If you're really intent on doing it in camera/processing, the best suggestion I can make is simply to zoom out a little and leave room for cropping, however if you tend to be a bit prolific as I often am, it might just be time to either do it yourself or at least establish a dialog with a framing shop.

BTW...be it a lab or framing shop, etc., don't be afraid to talk to them about any issues or concerns you may have. If you're paying someone to do such work for you, you should be satisfied with that work and they should be willing to address your concerns. If your "lab" ONLY offers certain print sizes and demands your prints be formatted for those sizes, then find another lab that will work with you....and the same goes for a framing shop - they should be able to cut/custom to any size you need.

Just my own opinions.
Can you recommend a lab that does custom sizes?

Can you recommend a lab that does custom sizes?

Well, if you're looking for some place local, you'll have to check around in your own area...don't assume that what you see on the counter is all they offer - always ask a sales associate or a lab tech if they do custom. I've done some work with Dodd's here in Cleveland for example...I usually have to tell them to turn off the auto-adjustments, but I've gotten some great results. If you're looking for something online however, just Google "custom print sizes" and you should find what you're looking for....Oddprints.com for example was one of the first results that came up (although they appear to be in the "trim it yourself" category). It also looks like EZPrints.com has a rather sizable variety when it comes to print sizes. Depending on what you're doing, if your willing to consider the inkjet option, you also may wish to check out places like Staples...they'll print and cut them just about any way you want (I've actually done a lot of my printing work over the years thru Staples). Inkjet technology has come a LONG way over the years...I work with a 44" HP up at the college and the results are VERY impressive.

Most reactions

Back