Sonoma and The Cook

Gary A.

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.garyayala.com
Chapter One
Mary Lou, Cook and moi took a quick trip to Sonoma for some wine tasting.

DSCF2368.jpg

Packed and ready. This is Cookie, (aka The Cook), she's my best friend and a 12 y/o Wheaten Terrier.
Fujifilm XT1 w/ Zeiss 32mm

DSCF2394-X2.jpg

First stop the Golden Gate. (Yes, she is posing.)
Fujifilm XT1 w/ Fijinon 10-24 @ 24mm

DSCF2429.jpg

The wind messing with her coiff.
Fujifilm XT1 w/ Fujinon 10-24 @ 10mm

DSCF2458-X2.jpg

Okay, that's it, let's go ... No pictures please.
Fujifilm XT1 w/ Zeiss 32mm

DSCF2528-X2.jpg

Next Stop, Simi Winery.
Fujifilm XT1 w/ 10-24 @ 15.9mm

DSCF2514-X2.jpg

"Sauvignon Blanc anyone ..."
Fujifilm XT1 w/ Fujinon 10-24 @ 19.1mm

Thanks for Viewing,
Gary

Last edited:
Looks like a fun trip! Was the wine any good?

Aw, poor windswept pup! He's a good little poser, though. Love #2 and also #3, though that one might benefit from a touch of distortion correction on the bridge.

Really interesting processing on the shots of the wine glasses. I'm not usually a fan of processing that I notice too easily, but I like the texture and contrast of those images.

Looks like a fun trip! Was the wine any good?
The stuff you can find at the wineries is so much better than what you can find in stores, even those huge liquor warehouses.

DSCF2533.jpg

One of the oldest wineries in California.

DSCF2564-X2.jpg

The Cook at Silver Oak.

DSCF2571.jpg

You get a longer pour if you shoot it.

GRAS5385-X2.jpg

Fujifilm X100s

Aw, poor windswept pup! He's a good little poser, though. Love #2 and also #3, though that one might benefit from a touch of distortion correction on the bridge.

Really interesting processing on the shots of the wine glasses. I'm not usually a fan of processing that I notice too easily, but I like the texture and contrast of those images.

Too lazy to touch distortion correction.

"I'm not usually a fan of processing that I notice too easily ..." Like a B&W?

Bodega Bay:

GRAS5275.jpg

X100s

GRAS5276.jpg

X100S
Cook checking out some Harbor Seals.

GRAS5304-XL.jpg

X100S
Clam Chowder for breakfast.

GRAS5283.jpg

X100S

I'm not used to thinking of black and white as "processing." But those two wine glass shots weren't just black and white - there was a different tone almost like Tri-X scanned as color or something like that. And maybe I'm not used to seeing such high contrast b&w without the grain. Dunno, I can't explain it well; I don't really do much post processing, so I lack the knowledge of both the tools and the names for the tools to try to figure out what you did other than a simple conversion and adjusting of contrast levels.

It's also late and today was my longest workday, so the brain isn't really at full speed at the moment :)

I'm not used to thinking of black and white as "processing." But those two wine glass shots weren't just black and white - there was a different tone almost like Tri-X scanned as color or something like that. And maybe I'm not used to seeing such high contrast b&w without the grain. Dunno, I can't explain it well; I don't really do much post processing, so I lack the knowledge of both the tools and the names for the tools to try to figure out what you did other than a simple conversion and adjusting of contrast levels.

It's also late and today was my longest workday, so the brain isn't really at full speed at the moment :)
Got it. Yeah, I add a smidgeon of sepia to some of my B&W ... and I like contrast.

DSCF2615.jpg

Breakfast in Sausalito.

DSCF2623-X2.jpg

Millionaire Bacon

DSCF2621-X2.jpg

Delic.

Oh gosh, the breakfast stuff looks great! I've sworn off bacon, sausage, butter, sour cream, non whole-wheat breads, and a bunch of other foods, so the mere thought of classic breakfast fare is making me want to head to the store right NOW, tonight! to stock up on say, everything needed for a week's worth of eggs benedict, sausages, waffles, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc. Must...resist....nightime..grocery....store...run...must divert...all..attention..to.... oh, fuggedabout it, I'm outta here...

Oh gosh, the breakfast stuff looks great! I've sworn off bacon, sausage, butter, sour cream, non whole-wheat breads, and a bunch of other foods, so the mere thought of classic breakfast fare is making me want to head to the store right NOW, tonight! to stock up on say, everything needed for a week's worth of eggs benedict, sausages, waffles, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc. Must...resist....nightime..grocery....store...run...must divert...all..attention..to.... oh, fuggedabout it, I'm outta here...
LOL ... it was as good as it looks (plus it was Sausalito).

The Marin French Cheese Factory (The longest continually operating cheese company in America.) :

DSCF2630.jpg

Cook inspects the picnic area.

DSCF2636-X2.jpg

Cook poses near the pond. She ignore the geese until they waddle up on dry land.

DSCF2647.jpg

Then ... the fun begins.

DSCF2649.jpg

Back to ignoring ...

DSCF2645.jpg

et cetera ... I think the geese were willing participants.

DSCF2653.jpg

This is the store to stock up on cheese. Some amazing stuff in there.

I like the way you process your pics especially the black and whites. Some great pics in there!

Got it. Yeah, I add a smidgeon of sepia to some of my B&W ... and I like contrast.

So do I. I see the color ones have nice contrast, too. Looks like slide film.

This whole series is just fantastic.

Cook and the geese make me smile :)

What a great storyline, great photos and a great looking dog to boot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back