Sony 70-200 GM 2.8 A-Mount on A7RII

brendancaulfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All,

I recently purchased an A7RII and couldn't be happier with it. I have an a-mount 70-200 G 2.8 lens. I am trying to decide whether to sell it and get the e-mount version. In general, I use this lens for shooting indoor sports (hockey, dance, etc.). I was thinking about buying the LAEA3 and using the a-mount glass on my new camera but I am not really sure what I am losing with this setup over using the native mount. Anyone else had any experience with this? If so, what are your impressions? I know there are nuances between the native lens functionality but is it worth the price to upgrade the lens or should I just buy the adapter and stick with the lens I have?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

-brendan

I'd suggest renting the A mount adapter and seeing if the A mount lens performs well enough for you on the E mount body. I did this exercise with the A mount 70-400mm G and my a6500 and wasn't pleased with the autofocus performance. I saved up for the E mount 100-400 G and am much happier with the native glass.

I would suggest you use an e-mount lens on the A7r3. We had the same setup - studio use, and found the focus could hunt a bit with the LAEA3 .
When we put the lens on the A99i it was super fast to focus.
So we tried out and then purchased the e-mount 70-200 2.8 G lens for the a7r2.
Super fast focus and amazing quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back