Sony A100

KaleyEs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking into moving over to the Sony A100. I currently have a Nikon D40 but it needs repairs that would add up to about $400 so I was thinking of just buying a new camera.

Any thoughts on the Alpha A100?

$400!? I thought the D40 was less than 12 months old... surely yours is covered by a warranty (unless you dropped it or something :shock: )... anyway I agree if you definitely have to pay $400 to get it fixed then you might be better off putting that money toward a new, maybe a better camera.

I'm a bit confused though, about why you would want to completely switch systems (brands)... have your experiences with this D40 left you with no confidence in Nikon? If not, I would recommend sticking with what you know... especially if you already have lenses for Nikon.

Beyond that I won't go into the whole area of which camera or which system is better... that old debate gets endlessly recycled on this and other forums... all I'll say is the Sony A100 is a fine camera, as are the similarly priced models from Canon, Nikon and Pentax... but personally I can't see why, having started with Nikon, you want to change system rather than just change camera... (of course you may have good reasons, but you haven't told us so we don't know ;) ).

I would like to stick with Nikon, the only problem is my price range. I don't have the money to buy a Nikon D80 (which is what I would like to do) but I would rather not go with a used, older model like the D70 just because I don't like buying used cameras from people. I have many friends who have bought used digital SLRs and they have broken soon after they got them, or something went wrong with them.

A friend of mine has the Sony Alpha and loves it. I also haven't bought a large collection of lenses yet so I wouldn't feel so bad switching. It also seems to be the only camera currently in my price range with many of the Nikon D80 capabilities. Unless you have an idea?

Just as with everything when buying for a new camera, it depends a lot on what your wanting to do with it.

If you don't have a lot invested in nikon, and would like to try the field out, and you have your friends good reference, and you weren't particulary thirlled with nikon, i'd definitly give the sony a try. But if your wanting to get more lenses, or wanting to take photography really far and maybe make money off of it or just develope strong photography skills, i'd take a step back and look at the two. I love my Alpha, but if i was starting off and didn't have my old minolta lenses, i'd prolly go with nikon because of the much broader range of equipment and lenses.

But look at what you want to do, and see where each can take you. Thats the question to ask first ;)

Sony's new SLR will be more up-market.

Just some things to consider:

Sony has a LARGE selection of lenses from the Konica Minolta days. They are good lenses, and can be bought quite cheaply.

Sony is entering this space with a vengance. Every space Sony has ever entered (music production, video production) they have gone on to set the pro-standard. Sony is SERIOUS about photography, and will be a market leader in a few years.

Word on the grapevine is that the new Sony will have new lens mount and the old Mintola lens won't work.

I love my Alpha. I've had it for 9 months and I already have over 20,000 shutter actuations. Biggest reason why I got mine was because I was upgrading from my Maxxum 5D, and all my lenses worked with the new system.

Sony and Nikon have both announced 12Mp cameras. The A100 is already dropping in price. I got mine for six bills (body only). What I like about the Sony is the in body anti shake system. Extra lenses don't cost as much as the Nikon lenses.

Hey Efergoh, what grapevine has the word that Sony is coming with a new lens mount?

EDIT: Also, the new 12mp Sony camera is already released and in the hands of real users. The real UP-camera is coming, likely, in early 2008 and will take on the Nikon D3 - tough mission there though. (Sony does make the sensor after all).

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I heard a rumor that the lens that fit the A100 will not work in the new A700. It was something I heard here or somewhere else that you can't buy new lens for the A100 because of the new camera that is being released. I'm hoping I heard that wrong!

Yeah I don't know what grapevine came up with that rumour... Sony abandoning the mount doesn't seem at all likely to me, especially since their brand new A700 is due to use it.

The rumor is just that - a rumor. I'm using these lenses on my A700 now.

I have the A100 and I just LOVE it.

Amber

Sony's new SLR will be more up-market.

Just some things to consider:

Sony has a LARGE selection of lenses from the Konica Minolta days. They are good lenses, and can be bought quite cheaply.

Sony is entering this space with a vengance. Every space Sony has ever entered (music production, video production) they have gone on to set the pro-standard. Sony is SERIOUS about photography, and will be a market leader in a few years.

I also heard that the Nikon D200 and D300, Pentax K10D, Samsung GX-10 have Sony sensors. I could be wrong but I thought that was the case.

Most reactions

Back