Sony A7III

Lrodrg11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I was going to get a Sony a6400 but I’m now thinking about getting a Sony a7III. I am going to be a beginner using either of these cameras and I guess photography in general but I’ve been wanting to get into it for awhile now. Should I get the Sony a7III? If so, where is the best place to get the camera and lenses. Thanks.

Hmm, for a beginner I would say both camera's are quiet capable.
Personally, if money was not an issue, I would get the A7III ... though for the difference in price, I would use the money for a good lens.

Hmm, for a beginner I would say both camera's are quiet capable.
Personally, if money was not an issue, I would get the A7III ... though for the difference in price, I would use the money for a good lens.
Ok, where’s the best place to buy the A7III and lenses for it?

The A7iii is a lot of camera but if you can swing it why not?! The menu is deep and broadly encompassing and if you're really interested in learning the camera the curve will be relatively steep but ultimately rewarding. The kit lens (which I believe is 28-70, f3.5-5.6 is very, good. Maybe even very, very good. It's takes a big hit on-line because it's "classified" as a kit lens but I've taken some seriously great pics with it. It's also focus fast and very light. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend that lens especially if it can be bundles as a sale package. I would however warn against the Sony 50mm (which many first time A7 buyers choose for their first lens) as it's simply the most finicky 50mm prime I've ever encountered. It's a perennial focus hunter and stutters and stammers to much to be all that useful. It does take a brilliant pic if you're patient enough to sit and wait for focus. If you wanna take it a step forward in lens's the venerable Sony 24-105 f4 is the best zoom lens I've ever owned and covers enough ground (and brilliantly) to last a beginner years. IQ, color and sharpness are simple outstanding. It is and always will be my "go to" for my Sony Alpha's if a very specific type of shoot (ie: wide angle ect) is not called for.

As to dealers, if you're in the States I've grown to really like B&H. They've become informative, fast, friendly and efficient. If you happen to be in California I've always had a good working relationship with Samy's. I don't think they as good as B&H for strictly on-line stuff but they do also have brick and mortar places.

The A7iii is a lot of camera but if you can swing it why not?! The menu is deep and broadly encompassing and if you're really interested in learning the camera the curve will be relatively steep but ultimately rewarding. The kit lens (which I believe is 28-70, f3.5-5.6 is very, good. Maybe even very, very good. It's takes a big hit on-line because it's "classified" as a kit lens but I've taken some seriously great pics with it. It's also focus fast and very light. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend that lens especially if it can be bundles as a sale package. I would however warn against the Sony 50mm (which many first time A7 buyers choose for their first lens) as it's simply the most finicky 50mm prime I've ever encountered. It's a perennial focus hunter and stutters and stammers to much to be all that useful. It does take a brilliant pic if you're patient enough to sit and wait for focus. If you wanna take it a step forward in lens's the venerable Sony 24-105 f4 is the best zoom lens I've ever owned and covers enough ground (and brilliantly) to last a beginner years. IQ, color and sharpness are simple outstanding. It is and always will be my "go to" for my Sony Alpha's if a very specific type of shoot (ie: wide angle ect) is not called for.

As to dealers, if you're in the States I've grown to really like B&H. They've become informative, fast, friendly and efficient. If you happen to be in California I've always had a good working relationship with Samy's. I don't think they as good as B&H for strictly on-line stuff but they do also have brick and mortar places.
Thanks for all the advice, I've heard a lot about 50mm auto focus being really slow lol. Honestly, Im completely fine with a steep learning curve (lots of options), I mean if I want to go places in photography I have to learn what all this stuff is anyway.

Photography (at least for me) is one of those creative endeavors that simply requires developing compositional skills and almost as equally important, technical skills. So getting the technical chops to get the camera to respond to your compositional wants can be daunting. I advocate taking pictures virtually all the time. Endlessly. Trial, and the equally important failure, is the fastest way I know for a steady upwardly progression. I’m also a big fan of decent photo software. Not so much to manipulate photos (at least initially) but more to get a clear idea of what you did right and what you did wrong. Since the pictures meta data is clearly displayed in the software it’s easy to look at the composition, recall the scenario in which you took the picture, note the meta data and then make a mental note of what did or didn’t work in your shot. I remember in my early days being so excited about getting out and capturing events (airshow, car races, motorcycle races ect). I remember years ago going to a Grand Prix race in which I took hundreds of photos. I didn’t get much, if anything, and was bitterly disappointed but I studied those photos and next event out I got 5 or 6 goods ones. And the progression built on itself.

Good luck, stick with it and be patient :)

Most reactions

Back