Sony Alpha 57 is no joke Canon and Nikon folks!!

do you basically have to guess WB and Exposure?

No. Not at all. There are color meters, but nobody really uses them. More important though is exposure. The problem is that there is no such thing as a "proper exposure". However, you can understand how the meter reflects data recorded, and make informed decisions about how an exposure is made to better represent the subject. I don't feel there is any guesswork at all. I know that my camera will produce a given luminance value at a given exposure within the specified spot meter region.

Just learned that my father got rid of his old Pentax SLR last month without letting me know... It was 40+ year old and had a needle meter for exposure in the view finder that you turned on and off when needed.

I own the a65 and all I can say is I'm very impressed with it. Amazing quality for an affordable price. Sony is on its way to being a top marketer in the dslr market.

ColtenJWeaver said:
Sony is on its way to being a top marketer in the dslr market.

Never going to happen

Sony will likely continue to be popular amongst it's target. Frankly, it makes no sense for Sony to try to compete with Nikon and Canon for the pro market. For one thing, the soccer mom market is immensely larger.

Patriot said:
I believe it's good to have a third competitor enter the field dominated by Canon and Nikon. Sony might bring some fresh ideals in their cameras

Not really. Two competitors is good. Three actually tends to hold the market back.
Plus there's no real pro support for Sony.
i.e. no rental houses, no pocketwizards, no real heritage.

there's no real pro support for Sony.

This is why Sony cannot be seriously considered by any pro worth anything.

They're a total joke, and waste of time in the pro dept.

Pocket wizard makes a sony compatible model. All sony cameras can do wireless flash too if you buy the minolta or sony brand flash. The technology is good. Nikon uses Sony parts for their pro level cameras too. The 850 and 900 are comparable to canon 5d mark ii which is what they were designed to compete with, the prosumer market. Now they do not have a full dedicated pro line yet but are coming out with it. A99 is going to be a full frame body designed to compete directly with the nikon d800.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | The A99 24 Megapixel sensor is completely new designed.

Pocket wizard makes a sony compatible model. All sony cameras can do wireless flash too if you buy the minolta or sony brand flash. The technology is good. Nikon uses Sony parts for their pro level cameras too. The 850 and 900 are comparable to canon 5d mark ii which is what they were designed to compete with, the prosumer market. Now they do not have a full dedicated pro line yet but are coming out with it. A99 is going to be a full frame body designed to compete directly with the nikon d800.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | The A99 24 Megapixel sensor is completely new designed.
Pocketwizard® - Wireless transmitters and receivers nope...still no Sony.
Sony is strictly an amateur's camera. When you're at events, do you see a Sony booth? Does Sony have a professional system for still cameras like CPS or NPS?

I really don't think sony has an interest in the professional market. I think that all they are interested in is making their cameras look and feel professional enough that consumers will buy them with confidence.

Whether this works out, we'll see.

Sony is strictly an amateur's camera. When you're at events, do you see a Sony booth? Does Sony have a professional system for still cameras like CPS or NPS?

You just need an adapter. And most people dont need a flagship camera. Do you need a 1dx or a d4 to do what you do? But they are making steps in the right direction. Sony make good options and the competition will only make your camera brands have to sell there bodies for less. So you would still benefit here. So whats the problem?

Last edited:

You just need an adapter. And most people dont need a flagship camera. Do you need a 1dx or a d4 to do what you do?

Wow.. $99 just for an adapter (Sony Brand) to use Pocket Wizards? And only in full manual mode, No TTL compatibility? Seems expensive....

You just need an adapter. And most people dont need a flagship camera. Do you need a 1dx or a d4 to do what you do?

Wow.. $99 just for an adapter (Sony Brand) to use Pocket Wizards? And only in full manual mode, No TTL compatibility? Seems expensive....

Most people use manual for multiple flash anyway. And $99 is not that bad when you saved $499 on the body.

My a580 takes pictures identical to your d7000.

My a580 takes pictures identical to your d7000.

I understand it uses the same basic sensor.. so I would assume it is capable of similar quality on the images.

That's why I don't like Sony stuff (except ps3), you need an adapter to use practically anything with their hardware.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back