Sony Alpha 57 is no joke Canon and Nikon folks!!

You just need an adapter. And most people dont need a flagship camera. Do you need a 1dx or a d4 to do what you do? But they are making steps in the right direction. Sony make good options and the competition will only make your camera brands have to sell there bodies for less. So you would still benefit here. So whats the problem?
Nope but I use a D700 with an eye on upgrading to a D800 when I am able to. Why take a step on the wrong direction if you will end up having to ditch the entire system once you go pro? The "image quality" of a camera is a tiny part of the whole equation. Most cameras get very similar image quality.

Saving a few hundred to get a Sony is a great way to waste thousands later if you plan to go pro. Most people don't need a flagship camera. Most people aren't pro. Telling the Nikon and Canon folk that a Sony Alpha can keep up is ridiculous. My brother uses a NEX-7. He gets great results in a small camera...but is he pro? No. The Camera is a small toy that he brings out when he wants to have fun. Does it take great pictures? Yes. Can it be used in a professional context? No.

Wow.. $99 just for an adapter (Sony Brand) to use Pocket Wizards? And only in full manual mode, No TTL compatibility? Seems expensive....

That's why I don't like Sony stuff (except ps3), you need an adapter to use practically anything with their hardware.
I like the PS3 too. I also like their mirrorless system. But do they cater to the pro market? No.

I don't really know what the big deal is with this pocket wizard stuff. All the sony TTL's are wireless, as are the Metz, certain Sigma units and Nissin.

Why do you need an overpriced pocket wizard when Sony inherited Minolta's wireless TTL protocol? Is there something I'm missing?

I don't see where sony's actually even save money. Really all you get extra is fps. Most shooters don't need high fps.

Who cares about pro anyway ?!?

Do you guys plan to one day drive an F1 race car while you drive your Corolla ?

Is Iron Chef in your future when you grill your burgers ?

Once family, bills, house and real job shows up, 3,000$+++ FF camera become pretty hard to justify for the average Joe.

Assuming that everybody is like you and has dreams of FF bodies is very narrow minded...

belial said:
I don't see where sony's actually even save money. Really all you get extra is fps. Most shooters don't need high fps.

Look at prices...

My a580 takes pictures identical to your d7000.

It has the same sensor... the similarities end there. BTW, your sensor also receives 2/3EV less light than mine.

Once family, bills, house and real job shows up, 3,000$+++ FF camera become pretty hard to justify for the average Joe.

Assuming that everybody is like you and has dreams of FF bodies is very narrow minded...

Arn't you being just a little ridiculous? By your analogy, we should all just use cell phone cameras and point-and-shoots. After all, I don't plan on driving a Lexus or aspire to be Emeril Legasse so why even bother with an interchangeable lens body at all! What a joke. :lol:

All black or all white huh ? Surprising coming from a photographer...

Well, once you start paying for your own living expenses and that of your household we can revisit the question.

The majority of people who buy new cameras, the only ones that count for any company, are not interested in the pro equipment price.

Sony has no FF body on the market for the time being yet they are always compared to FF and pro level competitors. I'd say they are good enough if they gather all that attention.

Hmm, how about, phase detect AF, in body IS good for 2 - 4 stops... and the high FPS is wonderful. It's probably something of a crutch, but whenever I'm shooting something fast paced you bet that I switch to continuous and fire away. :lmao:

The AF and high FPS are good enough that I can hand my camera + a cheap tamron zoom lens to a buddy that knows nothing about photography and have him take decent pictures with it.

OTOH - the IS is really the only thing keeping me with Sony, and was the only thing that I was looking at with Minolta.

Kolia said:

It's good to have a clear upgrade path when choosing a camera system. You never know how far you're going to go.

Kolia said:
Look at prices...

They aren't any cheaper. A mid range Sony is right around the price of a mid range Nikon or canon.

The a57 kit is going for $750. That's right around the same range as other companies high entry level. The a77 is about the price of everyone mid range. Don't act like the cameras are such a steal because they have phase detection in live view. They aren't bad. If you love them great. I don't.

Now I still see an older Sony in my future. Throw a beer can on it and I have a great affordable cheap but good quality disposable telephoto system.

My a580 takes pictures identical to your d7000.
&lt;br&gt;<br>
&lt;br&gt;<br>
It has the same sensor... the similarities end there. BTW, your sensor also receives 2/3EV less light than mine.&lt;br&gt;<br>
&lt;br&gt;<br>
<br>......

The a580 was a traditional DSLR with a reflex mirror.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back