Sony Bodies "Cancelled" Due To Chip Shortages

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It has been difficult to find out what camera equipment shortages have occurred in 2021 not to mention figuring out which shortages were unusual (ie specifically due to problems which might not have been "typical" -- whatever that might mean). Sony has recently announced specific discontinuations of camera bodies, many of which can fairly be identified as "unusual".

On November 23, 2021 Gannon Burgett for DPreview.com reported:

"Sony stops production of all a7 II series and a6400 cameras due to chip shortages"
"Sony stops production of all a7 II series and a6400 cameras due to chip shortages"

This announcement covered the a7ii, a6400, a6100, PXW-Z190 professional 4K camcorder and some accessories. The report is unclear whether the a7Rii is also discontinued, but it seems to also be.

At first glance, this appears to be a discontinuation of "old" products, though the a6100 in particular was not particularly "old".

But later, on Dec 6, 2021, Gannon Burgett for DPreview.com was reported that the new "ZV-E10" would also be "suspended".

"Another one bites the dust: Sony suspends orders of its ZV-E10 camera, citing chip shortage"
"Another one bites the dust: Sony suspends orders of its ZV-E10 camera, citing chip shortage"

The combination of the a6400 and the "ZV-E10" discontinuations is particularly disappointing for serious video content providers who have been looking to these two cameras as particularly desirable for relatively low cost entry points into the Sony ecosystem.

Back in Feb. I suggested that for this year, priority should be give to buying bodies over lenses. At least that far, it looks like I was right. . . .

"The Chip Shortage And Us (photography people)"
"The Chip Shortage And Us (photography people)"

This announcement covered the a7ii, a6400, a6100, PXW-Z190 professional 4K camcorder and some accessories. The report is unclear whether the a7Rii is also discontinued, but it seems to also be.

I shoot Sony and the camera's you mention are pretty dated and compared to the newer Sony Models: a9ii a7Riv and the A1 are pretty under whelming in comparison

I shoot wildlife and a Sony a7ii will just not cut the mustard- I use the a9ii and a7Riv ( new version) and have just ordered the A1

Les :)

Somehow I don't think life as we know it will collapse...Seriously!?

I shoot Sony and the camera's you mention are pretty dated and compared to the newer Sony Models: a9ii a7Riv and the A1 are pretty under whelming in comparison

I shoot wildlife and a Sony a7ii will just not cut the mustard- I use the a9ii and a7Riv ( new version) and have just ordered the A1

Mostly old, yes. Sony, like the others, "more normally" produces products while there is demand for those products at prices worth keeping them on the books. Really, the A7ii and A7Rii were clearly borderline since their prices had dropped and the A7iii and A7Riii are probably taking that "profitability" slot. The surprises for me are the APS-C bodies. The a6400, which I bought about a year ago now, is still selling at the same price it was a year ago, and as far as I remember (without checking historical sources) this was the original prices. There might have been a price drop shortly after its original introduction (which is common practice in the industry), but sales have been consistent at what I believe is a good profit margin to this day. The "ZV-E10" was a new body this year, and was no doubt profitable as well. The "a6100" was the only camera that might have been squeezed, but as the real successor to the "a6000", it should also have been profitable. The only camera squeezing it was the afore mentioned "ZV-E10" which is now also temporarily off the table.

In APS-C, Sony is just leaving the A6600 available for now, and that is a camera being squeezed by the a7c. So basically, for the APS-C bodies, they just took most of them off the table forcing people to buy Full Frame, or "wait until next year".

@VidThreeNorth - Oh I agree, but all Sony FF bodies that I own have the facility to set up a custom button to switch to APS-C mode - I never use it to be honest= preferring to shoot Full Frame and crop in post as and when required :)

I guess I helped the situation when instead of the $30 cinefilm color developing kit I was sent a $3000 Sony mirrorless camera and $2000 lens. I called the NY supplier and returned them. Nothing especially honest, you couldn't pay me to use Sony cameras/lenses.

Sony Ceases Orders for a7C and a6600 and Confirms End of Life for a7ii and a6100

Sony has announced that they are not accepting orders for the a7C and the a6600, and that some of the currently placed orders might be suspended or even cancelled. These products are still current. On the other hand, the announcement says that the a7ii and a6100 will no longer be produced, so whatever is in the warehouses will be the end of those bodies. The only surprise is the a6100, which, though it is squeezed by the new E10, was still a relatively new body. Oddly, new a6000's are still buyable.

"Sony ceases orders for a7C and a6600, confirms a7 II and a6100 have reached end-of-life"
Dec 23, 2021, by Gannon Burgett for DPReview.com
"Sony ceases orders for a7C and a6600, confirms a7 II and a6100 have reached end-of-life"

Sony Ceases Orders for a7C and a6600 and Confirms End of Life for a7ii and a6100

Sony has announced that they are not accepting orders for the a7C and the a6600, and that some of the currently placed orders might be suspended or even cancelled. These products are still current. On the other hand, the announcement says that the a7ii and a6100 will no longer be produced, so whatever is in the warehouses will be the end of those bodies. The only surprise is the a6100, which, though it is squeezed by the new E10, was still a relatively new body. Oddly, new a6000's are still buyable.

Dec 23, 2021, by Gannon Burgett for DPReview.com
Last time I looked, this isn't SonyAlpha Rumors. What's next, unboxing videos? Enough already...

Most reactions

Back