Sorry, I try to keep one question a day..

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw a photo from a photographer (I do not share photo's on here without permission). The photo was of a girl sitting with her legs crossed, feet firt, face in the back. Somehow, she blurred the feet in the front, making her face the focal point. I've got blurring backgrounds downpat, now I see this....so how do you blurr the front of th photo??

Same way as the back. It's called DEPTH of field. Depth being the key word. Normally 1/3 in front and 2/3 behind.

luvmyfamily said:
I saw a photo from a photographer (I do not share photo's on here without permission). The photo was of a girl sitting with her legs crossed, feet firt, face in the back. Somehow, she blurred the feet in the front, making her face the focal point. I've got blurring backgrounds downpat, now I see this....so how do you blurr the front of th photo??

A shallow DOF will do it.

Depth of Field ... the out of focus zone is both in front and behind the focus plane.

luvmyfamily said:

Focus on her face with a large aperture. Even then some of her body will be in focus because it's in the same plane of focus.

If you want truly selective focus, get a LensBaby or an expensive tilt-shift lens :)

Last edited:
luvmyfamily said:

Should I use my A-DEP setting instead of M? It looks like you can do foreground or background in focus.

I tried to find an example of an intentional blurring but I dont have one on my phone.

This is an accidental one and not a very good example. Her hand is blurred though

It was shot with an aperture of 3.5 but I was really close so the depth of field was really shallow

luvmyfamily said:

Should I use my A-DEP setting instead of M? It looks like you can do foreground or background in focus.

No, never use that mode. It's next to useless, and often makes ridiculous decisions in terms of what aperture to use. I've done some experimenting with it, and now wish it wasn't even on the control dial.

Use manual mode (or Av), learn about focal lengths, aperture, distance from lens to subject, and DoF distribution.

I tried to find an example of an intentional blurring but I dont have one on my phone.

This is an accidental one and not a very good example. Her hand is blurred though

It was shot with an aperture of 3.5 but I was really close so the depth of field was really shallow

Yeah!! That's the look I am talking about, only longer, like feet blurred in front with face in focus.

No, never use that mode. It's next to useless, and often makes ridiculous decisions in terms of what aperture to use. I've done some experimenting with it, and now wish it wasn't even on the control dial.

Use manual mode (or Av), learn about focal lengths, aperture, distance from lens to subject, and DoF distribution.

^^^^^Yup, this.

Thanks Tyler. I've used the Aperture priority (AV) mode a few times, but got background blurr. I will play around with this. Great info.

DOF... same as backgrounds.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back