Speck in lens, how to get it out/how much $

Tyler Durden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was out shooting this evening like always and noticed some small specks in my view finder. I assumed this was from the glass face of the lens getting some dust on it. Long story short I found out there is a small black speck actually inside the lens?? I always keep the lens covers on and when Im not shooting the lens and body are both in their carrying case. When I shoot I dont actually see the speck in pictures though. Anyone have any advice on what to do with this? Thanks for your time.

If it's not showing up in your pictures, then its probably wise to leave it (unless you're prepared to pay to have it cleaned professionally)

If you are seeing a speck in your viewfinder it is likely a piece of dust on your mirror or inside your viewfinder. Specks and dust and even scratches on lenses don't show as specks due to the way a lens works. A speck in the lens would only cause a slight change in contrast not a speck.

Meh. I had something like that on my mirror at one point. Just leave it. Mine shimmied across the mirror after a while and now it's gone.

I wouldn't mind it. Hell, I saw shots taken with a lens where the front element was cracked, and they were only a bit blurry.

X2 what everyone else said. My viewfinder was DIRTY. When I first noticed it, I went on a wild lens cleaning spree before I realized it was the viewfinder. Do you still see the speck if you change lenses? That was the tip off for me. Even if it is in your lens, if it doesn't affect your picture quality, just ignore it! Why spend money on having it disassembled and cleaned if you don't need to?

To test if the speck is in your viewfinder or not take your lens off and look through the view finder. If the speck is still there then the problem lies in your viewfinder. This is more a bother to your mind then your image captures.

If this is the case you have three choices; live with it, pay to get it cleaned or replaced, or if you are adventurous you can clean it your self or just replace it which might be easier.

You can find instructions here:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Focusing-Screen-Installation-Guides--guides.html

If you do use the guides please read the warning at the bottom of the page first. I have only used the Canon 350D guide myself.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. But I actually take off my lens and can see the speck in the lens itself. I already cleaned the viewfinder and mirror before I did this. And when I shoot I dont see the speck so I will just keep shooting and how it disappears.

Most reactions

Back