Speedlight for portraits?

MrsLittle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Incirlik Air Base, Adana Turkey (thank you Air For
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you think it's overkill if someone uses a speedlight for outdoor portraits versus full natural light? I love the look and results I get when photographing with my SL, even in the golden hours. Does anybody else do this?

MrsLittle said:
Do you think it's overkill if someone uses a speedlight for outdoor portraits versus full natural light? I love the look and results I get when photographing with my SL, even in the golden hours. Does anybody else do this?

I think lots of people do this.

If you like the look and the results then go for it.

Do whatever works best for you and your style. Some people won't shoot anything other than natural light, others take strobes and reflectors out with them. IMO strobes are great for outdoor lighting as long as you get them off camera and use either a diffuser, soft box, or an umbrella.

I use flash 95% of the time regardless if I'm outdoors or indoors.
Outdoors, since it is the topic, if I'm by the building, I often bounce the flash into the building. At other times I use OCF. It is really about the look you're trying to get.

Cool! That makes me feel a little better, since I am always tempted to take my SL out during midday photos and don't want to feel like a fool. I do take it off the camera as well, even if I'm only holding it a foot away from my camera with a tiny softbox diffuser over it.

No worries, you have the right idea. Flash is essential to overpower the sun or to add fill-light if you are in the shade (which you should be during mid-day).

All you're doing with a flash is you adding another tool to draw your subject with light.

That last time I did a some photos for friends using my flash, I got hack about it being a "rookie mistake". I put the SL down for a while and started using only Natural light outdoors but then found my photos to be very boring.

I don't even like to shoot in the shade. I have become well aware how flat that lighting appears without a fill.

Hence the fill light (i.e., strobe, speed light, etc). You can also use a strobe in conjunction with a reflector. If you position the subject on the edge of the shade you can reflect some warm light onto them via the reflector while using a diffused speed light for fill, definition, etc.

There is nothing wrong with shooting in the direct sun either, as long as you know how to position the subject and can properly fill in the shadows.

I agree 1000% with IgsEMT... fill flash is something I use a lot. It gives good definition, and will make colors pop in a very nice way. Done properly, I really doubt that most people can tell you used it.. except maybe for a well defined catchlight in the eyes.

For me it depends on the location amd the time of day.

I usssualy prefer natural soft light like in the late afternoon....

But the one morning i did a photoshoot with my sis and was in shade and hate to use my 430 ex and a self fabricate light diffuser ,

Which was an old lamp head :) with a cotton piece of cloth :)

i always shoot with flashes in natural light it adds a great effect, heres one example. i have alot more examples on my flickr you can see

EriK by Travis Pietsch, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back