speedlite issues

ambercoll

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning!

I am in need of some advice/help. I have a Canon 5d Mark ii and 5d Mark iii. I have two Canon speedlites, the 580 ex ii and 600 exrt. I also have the Canon battery back up that is connected to the flash I am using at the time. In addition, I use rechargeable third generation eneloop batteries for all of this. At a wedding,I have to hold out using my flash for quite a long time, because I'm having big issues. My camera can be set anywhere from iso 400-600, f stop 4-7.1 and speed from 1/15 to 300. After I turn on my flash (using ettl as the setting), I take 5-7 pictures and the screen on the flash comes up with a picture of a battery with a line through it and shuts off.... both flashes do this. I've seen people take 100 pictures, without a battery back up and have no issues. The eneloop batteries aren't even warm! Even after a wedding, my eneloop batteries take 30 seconds to fully charge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening!

what sort of battery charger are you using? it's quite possible your batteries are no longer able to store a charge.

Even after a wedding, my eneloop batteries take 30 seconds to fully charge.

Eneloop batteries which are nearly exhausted can be fully charged in only 30 seconds?

Amazing is hardly the word for it. I've got to get some for myself.

I think she was suggesting that they aren't actually exhausted and it doesn't take very long for the charger to suggest they are full again...

Oh.

Have you tried it without the extra battery backup?

You've either got one or more bad batteries, or a bad charger. Charge the batteries until the charger indicates they're "full" then meter each one; you should get about 1.65 volts, and whatever milliamp rating (eg 2200 m amps). If any are substantially below that, bin them. If they're all below that, it's probably the charger. Do a load test on each battery by using a 1 AA incandescent flashlight (NOT an LED) and placing each fully charged cell into the flashlight and turning on and leaving it on. Any cells that last only a very short time are sketchy. Bin them. If all of the cells meter the same and and provide approximately the same duration in the flashlight test, then it's likely the charger itself. Check to ensure that all the contacts are clean and touching both ends of the battery, and measure voltage and current. If any one of the charging ports is out of spec, bin the charger. If both the batteries and charger test fine... it's Voodoo. Consult a witch doctor.

It does sound like the batteries (or the charger) are to blame. What type of charger are you using? Have you tried alkaline batteries, just to make sure that everything is working?

I would suggest something like THIS. This charger is a bit more expensive than most others, but it can analyze each battery and give you a true rating. This what you can see which individual ones aren't taking a charge. It also has a 'break in' mode, which can force a charge into a 'dead' battery, which often restores it, so that it can take a full charge (or close to it).

I have a Canon cp e4 back up battery. Maybe it is the charger. I will try the flashlight idea, thank you!!! I just heard that Eneloop batteries last for hours without a problem and I can't go very long at all with them. Extremely frustrating.

I have a wedding this saturday and need a solution asap!

Thanks all!!

I just shot 500 shots with one set ( 4 batteries) on my canon 580 using the same type of batteries u r using. Hope u find a solution to fix the problem!!!!!!!
good luck!!!!!

Most reactions

Back