Speedlite vs strobe - where do you choose one over the other?

Portability however isn't something to be snubbed at...

(consideration for video macro)

You are correct about portability. But I will not compromise the quality of an image because I don't want to deal with 60 or 600 lbs. I have a DIY diffuser rig that has to weigh over 200 lbs between the frame and the fabric and takes at least 2 people to put together.

The job dictates what I use, Period. And I have talked here of shooting large "rooms" in an underground quarry with just one flash, popped multiple times. I will not lug around gear if I don't need to just for the sake of saying I lug around more gear than you do. :D

...studio strobes are always better than speedlights...

I disagree. Light is light. But the right tool for the job makes life a lot easier some/most times. One could cut down a tree with one's Swiss Army knife's saw if one had 50 years to waste on the project but it just doesn't make any sense.

30 strobes? can we see one of these shots were you used 30 strobes?

Just look at any studio catalog-style shots of cars. Moody shots can be achieved with fewer strobes but probably not a whole lot fewer. See my post in Overread's thread about shooting black water.

Portability however isn't something to be snubbed at...

(consideration for video macro)

You are correct about portability. But I will not compromise the quality of an image because I don't want to deal with 60 or 600 lbs. I have a DIY diffuser rig that has to weigh over 200 lbs between the frame and the fabric and takes at least 2 people to put together.

The job dictates what I use, Period. And I have talked here of shooting large "rooms" in an underground quarry with just one flash, popped multiple times. I will not lug around gear if I don't need to just for the sake of saying I lug around more gear than you do. :D

...studio strobes are always better than speedlights...

I disagree. Light is light. But the right tool for the job makes life a lot easier some/most times. One could cut down a tree with one's Swiss Army knife's saw if one had 50 years to waste on the project but it just doesn't make any sense.

30 strobes? can we see one of these shots were you used 30 strobes?

Just look at any studio catalog-style shots of cars. Moody shots can be achieved with fewer strobes but probably not a whole lot fewer. See my post in Overread's thread about shooting black water.

SHOW ME THAT INCREDIBLE WORK YOU DID WITH YOUR 30 STROBES!

i call bull**** on you.
okthxbye

Most reactions

New Topics

Back