Spot Stuck on Camera?

S40T5Lover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so my camera has some sort of spot somewhere stuck on it. I know its not on my lenses because I switch lenses and its still in the same spot... What can I do..?

Have you had someone look at your sensor to see if it needs to be cleaned?

I have the same problem with D70s, but it isn't on the sensor, you just see it on the viewfinder. It makes me absolutely nuts, but the camera shop said it would have to be completely disassembled and they didn't recommend doing it for something that wouldn't show up anyway.

Do you mean that there is a spot showing up in the images?

It's 95% likely that this is dust on the sensor...and your sensor needs to be cleaned. This is just a fact of life with a DSLR camera.

It's not hard to do, but you do need to be careful about it. Search the forum for 'sensor cleaning' or failing that, search Google.

*edit*
Yes, if you can see the spot when looking into the camera, then it's not on the sensor...but it most likely won't show up in the images, so try to ignore it.

I had that and blew off my sensor with a little puff of air (from a bulb not my mouth). It was gone

I had that and blew off my sensor with a little puff of air (from a bulb not my mouth). It was gone

I might also add this is the third time this has happened...
The sensor is the mirror inside? or the thing above that....?

Last edited:
I might also add this is the third time this has happened...
The sensor is the mirror inside? or the thing above that....?
The sensor is behind the mirror and the shutter, you can't see it unless you activate the cleaning mode which flips up the mirror and holds open the shutter.

When you are looking into the viewfinder, you are looking into some mirrors, then onto the main mirror, then out the lens. The light from the lens can't get to the sensor at this time because of the mirror (and the shutter). So anything that you see when looking into the viewfinder, is either on the viewfinder, the mirror, the lens or outside.

When you press the shutter release button, the mirror flips up and then the shutter opens so that the light can hit the sensor. The viewfinder goes dark while the mirror is up.

Because of this, anything that is on the viewfinder or mirror will not show up in the images. But dust that is on the sensor, can't be seen in the viewfinder but does show up in the images.

The sensor is behind the mirror and the shutter, you can't see it unless you activate the cleaning mode which flips up the mirror and holds open the shutter.

When you are looking into the viewfinder, you are looking into some mirrors, then onto the main mirror, then out the lens. The light from the lens can't get to the sensor at this time because of the mirror (and the shutter). So anything that you see when looking into the viewfinder, is either on the viewfinder, the mirror, the lens or outside.

When you press the shutter release button, the mirror flips up and then the shutter opens so that the light can hit the sensor. The viewfinder goes dark while the mirror is up.

Because of this, anything that is on the viewfinder or mirror will not show up in the images. But dust that is on the sensor, can't be seen in the viewfinder but does show up in the images.

Yea, that is what the dude at the camera store said too. It sounded just as complicated as when you said it. LOL

There's usually a menu item for sensor cleaning. Select it, remove the lens and blow out the inside (I hold the camera with opening down so dust doesn't resettle :)) and power off when done.

Easy peasy

I had a large spec in my viewfinder recently (only in the viewfinder, not on images). Getting rid of it was as simple as removing the lens, pointing the camera at the floor and blowing some air inside the camera body with a bulb blower. Never blow into the camera with your mouth and don't use those cans of compressed air!

-------------

Last edited:
It's the focusing screen.
That is what Im thinking as well. You can try using a bulb blower to get it off. Remember this always never use canned air to clean your camera, most canned air is not that clean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back