Sprinkler C&C

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think of a sprinkler as a photographic subject?
4909_96126499820_508854820_2023137_2870382_n.jpg

The school in the BG is distracting

I think anything can be used as a photographic subject. If I were shooting a sprinkler I think I might want to shot it while it was working, maybe trying to get some macro shots or something.

The school is distracting, maybe at a different angle or with a nice skyline in the background and shoot it B&W. I think anything else in a color picture would distract from a sprinkler.

The first two posts are correct, the school is distracting, but they need to explain why. If the sprinkler is your subject, it needs to stand out from the background. In this case, there is not enough contrast in terms of hue and tone. The reds and pinks in the school are too similar to the reds and pinks in the sprinkler. Also, the tree trunks on the left are bright, and draw the eye to the left, and the hoses shoot the eye off to the right. Although such elements can make your image more dynamic, in this case, they direct energy and movement to the wrong areas.

Try taking the same shot in the evening with a fill flash. I think you'll get more desirable results.

Thank you for the suggestions and observations. The next time I get to go over to that school, I'll look and see if there would be an angle to shoot that would fill the photo with less distractions. For the meantime, I will do some PS and BW everything BUT the sprinkler. Thanks again for the insights. You all rock.......and roll!!!

Last edited:
How about a shot with the water on?

I agree with the helpful hints given above. I think your sprinkler is a good subject, but needs a different angle. You have some interesting things going for it; rusty, the spring, and the green grass.

This image shows one of mine with a frozen water drop and glazed with ice, but no distracting background. I've since learned to not cut off body parts of my subjects :er:

4466450266_b4538f4f3e_m.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back