Square filter systems vs. Screw-in - any views?

Babs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really need to get myself some filters and am looking at the different ones available. I have thread sizes from 52mm to 77mm on the lenses I have.

Obviously a square filter system (like cokin) seems to make sense financially, but are they just as good in performance terms? Or am I better saving up and buying separate screw-in filters bit by bit?

My most urgent need is for polarising filters for seascapes, so I'd start with my 10-20mm lens and go from there.

Any thoughts??

I think the square filters are a great choice for you. I've heard they perform exceptionally well and they are much easier to stack. I think if you tried to stack 2 ND filters on your 10-20, you'd get vignetting from them on the wide end. With square filters, you wouldn't have that issue.

Gel (square) filters are cheaper than their glass counterparts, but they also damage much more easily because they are not as hard or as well protected. For things like polarizers, I much prefer my regular, screw-in B+W filters. Buy the diameter for the largest lens you have and then use reducing rings to fit it on to your other lenses.

You can get a circular polarizer which slips into a Cokin/Lee gel holder, and it works reasonably well, but it's not as good as a "regular" one. Where the square filters really shine is when you're using G-NDs (Graduated neutral density) as they allow you to place the graduation wherever you want in the image.

Cokin ND/G-ND filters can develop a red colour cast when you're shooting toward the sun, but I have found that this can be eliminated or controlled by placing a cover of some sort above the filter assembly. I use a piece of matte black craft foam from Wal mart (well under $1.00/sheet) that I can fold into whatever shape I need to cover the filter holder and filters.

Thanks both. Very useful info.

Another question. If I go for the regular filters and use adaptor rings, can I "stack" adaptor rings?

EG - 77mm filter > 77-67 ring > 67-62 ring > 62mm lens

Yes, the only danger to stacking adaptor rings is that because they're thin, light and somewhat flexible, they can become very difficult to separate if you put them together with too much entheusiasm.

Thanks tirediron. Very helpful - as always.

I have lots to think about now!! Taking up photography as a hobby should come with a health warning for your bank account :lmao:

I use round polarizers, but if your going to do Graduated Neutral Density filters (like is enitrely possible for seascapes) you will want to go with square filters.

Brian

I use round polarizers, but if your going to do Graduated Neutral Density filters (like is enitrely possible for seascapes) you will want to go with square filters.

Brian

My thoughts exactly as I was reading through the comments. With anything that is graduated, you can compose your scene, and then slide the filter up or down to your liking, instead of having to compose to the filter on your lens.

I start with a UV at the mm size for each lens.

Then I have step rings for each lens up to 82mm which is the size of my polarizer. I may have a polarizer laying around for each lens but I like to carry the one 82mm in the bag.

I have several rectangular solid ND filters to stack as needed. I have a holder but don't use it. I just handhold as needed and in the position needed. I thus simulate the graduated ND. The lens cannot focus on the filter edge so that is not a concern.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back