St. Patty's C&C

quat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these at a bar with all ambient lighting. Just looking for C&C.
taken with my rebel Xti, 50mm 1.8/f, 1/30 second and ISO800
3358782136_6a354f38c7.jpg

3357964051_9a92d0cfd6.jpg

3358781570_e5cedc8d0e.jpg

3357967177_5427112d9e.jpg

2 words. fill flash (and better focus on #3)
other than that nice fun party pics. #4 could be closer and cropped better.

Well I would have loved to bounce a flash but I don't have a speedlight yet, just the pop up. if thats what you mean by fill flash?

When he said full flash he meant an hot shoe mount flash. Typically people refer those as full flashes over the built in one...just fyi. I liked the last one, only if that one guys head was out of the shot.

Ok, is there a way to capture ambient light without causing the background to be darkened? I plan on getting a speedlight 430ex.

Well, he did say "fill flash" and not "full flash" ... fill flash fills in the shadows, mostly so those you'd get taking photos against a bright background or against the sun.

In the case of these photos, though, I'd say: any use of flash would have ruined capturing the atmosphere. While 3 slipped towards the "blooper" side of things, as she probably moved while laughing, and you didn't really hold the long shutter speed, or didn't get the focus all right in the dark, they mostly have "atmosphere", and I like that aspect about them. 1 is perfect, I say, any use of any kind of flash would seriously have changed the light situation, which I guess you did not WANT changed. 2 is just a bar snapshot, the usual kind, pulling faces and all that... and 4 is another one that nicely works with the ambient light and captures the atmosphere.

So, certainly nothing wrong with 1 and 4 here!

Most reactions

Back