Stampeding Antelopes by Neil Aldridge Wins Top European Wildlife Photo

It's doesn't deserve top honour. It is an insult to other wild life photographers. Judges should be sacked!!! Period ...

We once had a similar situation in one of our international competitions.

SACKED THE JUDGE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of it at all. Though, there were a few in Derrels google image search using this method that I quite enjoyed.

I don't think it's a great example of the genre just because it's clipped at the bottom and that draws my attention to the framing.

It's a bit surprising that people are so dismissive of something just because they don't like it.
Rather than just say one doesn't like abstracts, it seems really important to tear it down or say its done better other places.

Hmmmm, I'm on the fence on this one, I can certainly appreciate the method and idea behind the image but as Derrel says, the light sucks and that makes it a flat image with not much charm for me.

I don't care for it at all. That's a personal opinion and not meant as a critique of the photo or the photographer. Maybe the fact that it stirs this much controversy gives it merit.

There have been some very controversial winners in a number of photography shows. At times, I think picking a rather weak or shoddy shot as the grand prize winner might even be done deliberately, as a way to generate controversy and the ensuing publicity. It really is a weak image in its genre. It has boring, flat light. It's difficult to over emphasize the fact that the picture has absolutely chitty light. Realllly muddy. But, apparently somebody thinks it reminds him of cave art. Anyway... this is the image link _78529021_78529017.jpg

It's controversial. It's apparently "the best wildlife image" they could dig up in all of Europe for this year. Orrrrrr--is it as I suspect, simply click-bait?

Anything genuinely different and new is going to be panned simply because it does not resemble the old.

I don't mean to suggest that nobody's made a blurry photo before, or even that this is a particularly great photo. But it's difficult to tell, sometimes, if we're looking at crap or simply something unfamiliar.

I am reminded of Anton Ego's monologue at the end of Ratatouille, which is, oddly enough, one if the best pieces of writing on criticism of our century.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back