What's new

Stands for my Speedlights, any recommendation?

ifi

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 25, 2010
Messages
604
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for some inexpensive stands for my speedlights. I do not have a budget but just don't want to spend a lot as I won't be using them very often.

Thanks!
 
Speedlights don't weigh very much, so it's not a matter of how much weight the stand can hold...but it's more a factor of what your uses are and what is convenient for you.
If you are using it for on-location work, you might not want a really heavy stand and might prefer one that is lighter and easier to carry. In a studio, you might want very sturdy, so that it can hold anything you might put on it. Or on the other hand, you might not have a lot of space, so you would want one with a small foot print (at the cost of being less sturdy).
Maybe you want one that is really high, or maybe not. Maybe you want on with more sections, so that it collapse down smaller for easy transport.

Or maybe you just want something cheap?

Lightstands


Also, to mount a speedlight, you will need some sort of adapter. The Canon 580EX comes with a 'foot' that will hold the flash and has 1/4" thread on the bottom, which make it easy to mount to a tripod or light stand (with 1/4" stud).
Another popular method is with an umbrella adapter. Impact | Umbrella Bracket | 3117 | B&H Photo Video
 
I'm eventually getting one or two of these to supplement/replace what I have: LumoPro LP604 5-Section 6ft Stand It's a good price for a portable 5 section. I figure if I am going the strobist route that portability is a plus.
 
Thank you for all the responses.

Do you guys consider this portable?
Interfit 8.5 ft Air Cushioned Light Stand

Yes, definitely portable, at only 30 inches in length when collapsed. You really will appreciate having the 8.5 foot height stands instead of shorties in the 6.5 foot range. The weight on those is not too bad either, and the price seems pretty reasonable these days at just under $30 per stand.
 
I think the 8.5' will serve my needs.

Any inexpensive hotshoe mounts?
 
Flash Zebra isn't a brand, it's an online store that sells flash gear made by other companies.

It's a one stop shopping place for flash stuff.

The umbrella brackets gryphonslair99 linked you to, are also available for essentially the same prices at bhphotovideo.com and other places.
 
Thank you for the follow-up and clarification :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom