What's new

Star trails tonight! C&C

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
1
Location
Sunny South Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so since I don't have the d300 yet with interval shooting it was just me my camera and a stop watch for about 2 hours. Let me know what you all think thanks!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
first was the grueling task of taking all the pics sitting in a lawn chair half asleep waiting for 30s to pass then clicking the remote then falling asleep and then realizing uh oh i have to click the shutter again lol for about 2 hours and then battery died. Came inside and taught myself how to use windows movie maker and sped it up to .125 of a second per frame and uploaded it to youtube. Boy what a long night haha and soon i'll be back out for that meteor shower :thumbup: :lol:
 
holy crap. That sounds horribly boring, but the final product is cool.

What mode did you shoot in?
 
Ya it was but as i took more pics and saw how cool it was looking i just stuck with it.
They were shot in manual
25s
f/4
At first it was thirty but about 1/2 way through guess i hit the dial and it went to 25 but nothing noticeable thank goodness haha!
 
Yeah, seriously. I could only imagine if you had gone that far only to have it get messed up :lol:

Thanks for the settings, I am going to try and get some star trails.
 
alright sweet! Have fun and don't fall asleep haha :thumbup:
tj
 
Very cool!
What lens did you use? I think if you use a wider lens, the final result should be much less choppy. Check out the settings this guy used.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so since I don't have the d300 yet with interval shooting it was just me my camera and a stop watch for about 2 hours. Let me know what you all think thanks!

YouTube - South Florida Star Trails


That was good a good video :D
Any signs of ET flying around lol

off topic there's a very large protected farm area near me over 300 acres or so there was two guys from MUFON out here camping out with the camera in hopes of catching the mysterious ufo's over NJ/PA that are supposively being reported, there is so much air traffic over the sky's I don't understand how they can come up with oh I think that's a UFO :confused:
 
Very cool!
What lens did you use? I think if you use a wider lens, the final result should be much less choppy. Check out the settings this guy used.

Has nothing to do with it being choppy. I waited to long on some to click the shutter again. Please tell me though how a wider lens would make it less choppy i'm up for listening to what you think.
 
Very cool!
What lens did you use? I think if you use a wider lens, the final result should be much less choppy. Check out the settings this guy used.

Has nothing to do with it being choppy. I waited to long on some to click the shutter again. Please tell me though how a wider lens would make it less choppy i'm up for listening to what you think.

Given the same shooting rate, and for the same distance "travelled" by a star (not really travelled, since it's obviously the earth that rotates), the movement will be less noticeable the smaller your focal length is. The smaller your focal length, two side-by-side pixels on your sensor will capture points farther apart (ie. the distance they map onto is increasing).

To see it another way, imagine taking pictures of an ant crawling along on the floor. The closer you are to the ant (or the greater your focal length), the greater the "jumps" will be between each frame.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom