Starting Darkroom Question

DMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Though I've always had an off-and-on interest in photography, I'm really interested in pursuing the hobby to a much deeper level and would like some experienced opinions on setting up a beginning basic darkroom for B&W film.

Would a kit like this one: ( http://www.adorama.com/OGC700DK.html ) be suitable and allow be to start developing and printing my own pictures? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just enough to get me going.

If the linked kit isn't really what I need, any recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA.

Drew Schmidt

That kit probably does have about everything you need, but since many folks are selling off their darkrooms these days you can get some amazing deals on used equipment. You can probably find everything in the kit, plus more stuff, with a better enlarger for less than half what the kit costs.

Agreed. The main thing is, that kit is not totally all-inclusive. Check out the list of accessories to the right of the enlarger. ;) That's where your extra costs will come in (safelights, grain focuser, easel, larger trays, etc). You could probably peruse ebay or some such place and get ALL of it for the same $$. Or darn close.

But Matt is right when he says a lot of this stuff is going cheap right now. It's a smart time to set up a darkroom for anyone who's been toying with the idea. Good luck! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back