Starting out. Need help with camera choice!

TeeZeeMee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a huge interest in getting heavily involved into photography but am having a hard time picking a DSLR to use.

i have narrowed it down to the following choices: Either a Canon T3i or Sony A55

I really like the physical body of the Canon but the features on the Sony are sweet. I wanna shoot a bunch of nature stuff when i go hiking and on the mountains but at the same time city shooting would be fun too when i visit bigger areas.

really i was just wondering your opinions on which would be a better buy?

If you are seriously wanting to get into photography? I'd go for the 7D. If that's out of the equation then the T3i.

avoid the Sony if you plan to actually be doing photography in the long term.

Because of the lack of accessories and the fact that Canon and Nikon DSLRs take up 95% of the market between them.
And you'd have a hard time selling off your old lenses. And if you want to go pro (one day) you'd have to junk the entire system.

Because of the lack of accessories and the fact that Canon and Nikon DSLRs take up 95% of the market between them.
And you'd have a hard time selling off your old lenses. And if you want to go pro (one day) you'd have to junk the entire system.

got ya. well i im shying away from the sony anyhow.
im debating between a d5100 or getting a T2i seeing how i dont really plan on doing video stuff

I know plenty of professionals that use Sony gear and are quite successful. The market share that the other two hold should not really influence this. The old sony lenses sell just as good as canon or nikon if not better since most Sony shooters buy lenses online. Now this being said I would not recommend the a55 for a first camera. There were some issues with that model and lens compatibility. I would say go a65 or an alpha series like a a580.

Last edited:

got ya. well i im shying away from the sony anyhow.
im debating between a d5100 or getting a T2i seeing how i dont really plan on doing video stuff

If you're not interested in doing video, the T3 could also be an option.

I agree to avoid Sony. Canon and Nikon have the largest user base, largest lens selection, and the most accessories. Also, and this is purely personal opinion, but I feel like Sony products are designed around marketability not usability. Canon and Nikon just seem to think about actual photographers more than Sony does, ymmv.

If you intend on getting really serious, a stripped down body like the D5100 or T2i will only get you so far. As mentioned, a 7D or D7000 will give much better long term value if you're going to be shooting a lot and trying to learn. The Rebels and "baby" Nikons are severely lacking in ergonomics compared to the higher end bodies, and for that reason to me are much harder to learn on, and will eventually get replaced if you're serious.

I know plenty of professionals that use Sony gear and are quite successful. The market share that the other two hold should not really influence this. The old sony lenses sell just as good as canon or nikon if not better since most Sony shooters buy lenses online. Now this being said I would not recommend the a55 for a first camera. There were some issues with that model and lens compatibility. I would say go a65 or an alpha series like a a580.
Given the fact that Sony has approximate 2% of the Entire Pro market (and I'm being EXTREMELY generous), for every 1 successful Sony professional, I would be able to show you 50 Nikon/Canon pros.

negate who owns what? i am more than likely not going to get the Sony anyways...

im just stuck between a D5100 and a T3i/T2i for still shooting :/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back