Starting out

Imnew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
As the name says im new to the forum and im looking for some advice.
Im going strat my own website so I can show what ive done and then hope to progress.

My question is how many photos should I be displaying?

Any idea's or direction would be very much appreciated.

:scratch:

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Photos OK to edit
Only display your best images, rather than shoot for a specific number of images.

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you have any friends in the industry who could help you choose your portfolio images? I know I have a hard time distinguishing my best from my rest. Emotional attachment can really skew your view of what's great and what is only good (or sometimes, downright terrible lol).

Do you have a flickr or other image sharing account online? I'd be happy to provide an opinion, if you'd like.

kja6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Only display your best images, rather than shoot for a specific number of images.

I'd say that's the best answer to your question. Another piece of advice for your website: don't have the images toooo large (maybe between 700 - 1000 pixels max). A pet peeve of mine is when I visit a photographer's website and their photos take forever to load due to size. I know that isn't the only factor for slow-loads, but it definitely doesn't help.

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
What kind of images you shoot might also dictate how many you should have on your web site. If you have the ability to produce great images from a wide variety of areas, pick 3-4 of the best, from each and use them. If that means having 20 great photos up then go with that, just as long as the site loads quickly, people like speed and aren't going to sit and wait. The absolute strongest photo you have should be the first one anyone sees.

What kind of things do you shoot?

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
30 to 40 pix in a portfolio.

Don't have 77 pages of crap like one Flickr had. If you want to look pro, just show your best stuff.

texkam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Only enough to showcase your talent. If you want to show more, consider directing viewers to your blog.

Emotional attachment can really skew your view of what's great and what is only good (or sometimes, downright terrible lol)
Yes! Yes! Yes!

cptkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
30 to 40 pix in a portfolio.

Don't have 77 pages of crap like one Flickr had. If you want to look pro, just show your best stuff.

30-40 ?

In my opinion that is far to many.

To be honest it really depends on what you are shooting, or what kind of photographer you are portraying yourself as.

If its portraiture I would say 15-20 max.

Landscape work I would go with 20 or so.

Theres nothing more annoying than a photographer putting loads of photos in his/her portfolio, as you get bored of looking after the first 10-20, even if it's stunning work.

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics