Starting Over, Looking at Canon 70D and Nikon D7100

As you can see both do very well at low iso and at 6400, while definetely the quality is less, its at a level that could only be dreamed of a few years ago- both are good choices, but having a friend that has nikon should pull you a certain way

Hmm...is it wrong/weird that I like the photos taken with the 7D better than the 7100? Haven't looked into the 7D at all.

No not weird at all. That's the way it is. The 70d should be similar if not slightly better than the 7d. I would advise not to judge on them few vastly different samples and maybe to look at Flickr and check out the group's of photos for each camera also. Lots say that not comparing like photos for like in a set up environment doesn't yield accurate results, but real pictures beat charts in my book anyday

Well, first you have to be sure your comparing two photographs shot under exactly the same conditions with the same subject matter, same composition, same lighting, etc, using two lenses that are on par with one another and that both photos are cropped in almost the same fashion - otherwise your test becomes entirely too subjective.

For example, if I take a D300 12mp, a D5100 16 mp, and a D5200 24 mp and shoot all three in good lighting under the same conditions with the same 50 mm 1.8 AF-S G lens, well if I don't crop any of the photos you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell which was which. Take all three cameras into a situation where the ISO has to be raised enough to get a proper exposure - and the picture taken by the D300 is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

If I take all three cameras and shoot with my 70-200 mm at a distant subject, well again in good lighting conditions with no cropping you won't see a huge difference between the photos. Take those same photos and crop them heavily? Suddenly there is a major difference in IQ between the three, even using the same lens under the same conditions.

If I take pictures using say the D300 with a professional grade fast lens under poorer lighting conditions and the D5200 under poor lighting conditions using a slow, commercial grade lens and again, the D300 photos under the right conditions will turn out better than those you'll see from the D5200 not because of the body or the sensor but because of the lens.

So really comparing sample images shot by two different cameras under shooting conditions that vary between shot to shot is just not going to give you an accurate picture, not unless your comparing tons and tons of them and carefully examining the EXIF data and being extremely careful to make sure your comparing apples to apples. Even then it probably still won't give you the full story.

If you looked at a set of photos where none were cropped then the differences between images shot on a D5100 and a D5200 would be barely noticeable if at all, assuming again the same level of skill of the photographer and your shooting in conditions where the two cameras are relatively equal. But if you look at some of the images I've shot with my 5200 you'd have no way of telling that you could never get an equivalent image out of a D5100 because you have no way of knowing how much they had to be cropped to get the end result I wanted.

So no, I don't consider comparing a few sample images from two different bodies to be a good methodology for deciding which camera you should ultimately go with, because there are just entirely too many variables to consider. Especially when you add in the fact that the subject matter might be more appealing to you in some images than in others, which has absolutely nothing to do with the camera body at all.

OP, it's your money and your free to spend it however you wish, but I strongly recommend you consider what types of shooting situations you'll find yourself in most often and use that to determine what qualities in the camera are going to be most beneficial to you.

Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV.

And here is another one just to help you go crazy

Oh, and I hope you are a Chiefs fan. I am still ticked and embarrassed on how they choked away a huge halftime lead to the freakin Colts! ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see both do very well at low iso and at 6400, while definetely the quality is less, its at a level that could only be dreamed of a few years ago- both are good choices, but having a friend that has nikon should pull you a certain way

Hmm...is it wrong/weird that I like the photos taken with the 7D better than the 7100? Haven't looked into the 7D at all.

No it's not wrong. It's just how you feel.

You have gotten some really good advice already in this thread.

I would differ with Mr. Rob Benz only in regards to the how it feels stuff. Even though you may get used to something, you still may not like how it feels. Getting used to something even if it feels weird/different/uncomfortable works for me; but would absolutely drive my wife crazy and more than likely keep her from using it (much).

If you get the chance, go drive a salesperson crazy by playing with each camera model you are considering.

Which could very well explain why I'm divorced.. hmm...

Lol. Mileage on this one varies of course, but really when I first started shooting my D5100 it felt kind of small in my bear paws, but I did get used to it and after a few weeks it was no longer uncomfortable for me as I grew accustomed to how to hold the camera so that it didn't feel awkward. Later on when I added the battery grip that pretty much solved all the ergonomic issues.

I've picked up and shot a few Canon's, they did have a different feel to them but not nearly enough for it to be uncomfortable or just downright bizarre. The menu systems seemed more difficult to navigate but only because I was accustomed to a different menu setup - with a few weeks I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue at all.

[/QUOTE]

Which could very well explain why I'm divorced.. hmm...
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, been there and felt that too. The counselor I saw (after it was too late) told me I was too lienient. Imagine that!

I'm on your side and would adapt to the feel and look etc. But OMG, if wifey does not like the way that shoe feels when she first tries it on......to hell with breaking it in :lol:

If I go broke(er) with this photography stuff, I will be able to open a hardly ever used ladies shoe store to fall back on ;).

Oh yes, been there and felt that too. The counselor I saw (after it was too late) told me I was too lienient. Imagine that!

I'm on your side and would adapt to the feel and look etc. But OMG, if wifey does not like the way that shoe feels when she first tries it on......to hell with breaking it in :lol:

If I go broke(er) with this photography stuff, I will be able to open a hardly ever used ladies shoe store to fall back on ;).

Livin that Al Bundy lifestyle. I like it.. lol

In the end, you are unlikely to make a "wrong" decision because both cameras are extremely good.

Thank you for clarifying the issue of lenses for me. And in general, thank you for all the information in your post. Greatly appreciated!

If the raw/ jpeg thing doesn't matter to you the 70d touchscreen and video controls on the Canon are advantageous, if only photographs are your thing I think the d7100 is the better photographers camera. Just an opinion

Thanks for your first hand experience with both manufacturers as well.

I was afraid that this might be a "no wrong choice" kind of thing, with neither camera head and above the other. I wish I could melt the two together and get the video capabilities of the 70D into the 7100. Then it would be a nobrainer. My good friend shoots Nikon = Free lens borrowing. Hahaha.

I think both camera's are going to be a great idea. You definitely have picked 2 that I'm interested in. If I wasn't already in the Nikon camp I would have to look pretty seriously at the Canon as well as the Nikon. They are both formidable camera's and work horses.

The reason I quoted you though is this: your friend has a Nikon. I have family with Nikon as well. If I ever need to borrow a lens I feel I can ask them. If your friend doesn't mind you borrowing a lens, that's a great opportunity to test lens's, etc. That is honestly one of the main reason's I bought a Nikon (other than the better sensor comparing the T3i and the D3200, at the time). I think you have 2 great choices and could do well with both.

Oh, and I hope you are a Chiefs fan. I am still ticked and embarrassed on how they choked away a huge halftime lead to the freakin Colts! ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have nightmares when I sleep about that game. Every night. Alex Smith played one of the best games I've ever seen a QB play, and our defense just crumbled. It was the culmination of the entire second half of our season. Smith looking brilliant, while our defense just collapsed.

However, we had a RASH of devastating injuries that game, and had that not happened I'm positive we'd have taken that game no questions asked.

ARGH, what a frustrating game that was.

Most reactions

Back