Starting school for photography need advice

photoneewb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I am thinking of going to school for photography soon and being from the Pittsburgh area and unable to relocate (wife and kid) I have 2 options AI of Pittsburgh and aiOnline. Well looking into the one located in Pittsburgh I found out that they want u to start off by using a film camera. They suggested a few, of which I will post them at end of this. My question is this if I get one of the ones they suggested and I buy good glass will the glass be compatible with a good digital camera of same brand when I am done with the film camera. For example if I get one of the canons and some good L glass will it work on the old camera or if I get some new good Nikon glass will it work on the old film camera? Thanks to all in advance. [FONT=&quot]Canon A-1 or AE-1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pentax K1000[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minolta X370 or X700[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Olympus OM-1 or OM-2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nikon FM or FM2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nikon FM-10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vivitar V3800N[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Canon EOS ELAN 7NE[/FONT]

I wouldn't buy good glass for school 35mm. Wait for when you get your digital. But to answer your question....maybe. Depends on what digital you get.

My suggestion is scour eBay for a Canon AE-1 (admittedly a personal preference only, some others might be just as good if not better) that has a macro lens, a telephoto lens, and an average kit lens. I know people who got all their basics in 1 shot and got some good deals.

For example if I get one of the canons and some good L glass will it work on the old camera
If the old film camera is a EOS model the current line of L lenses will work. They'll work on that Canon EOS ELAN 7NE. They won't work on a Canon AE-1 or A-1.

I would go with either the Nikon FM or FM-2, since it will use older Nikon lenses or newer lenses, and the same older manual focus Nikkor lenses, or newer AF or AF-D or AF-S lenses, ALL of which will work on Nikons made from 1977 to the present day.

The Nikon F3HP or F4 would also be decent choices. I would not hesitate to buy either F3 or F4 bodies in Ugly or bargain condition for low prices--they are very tough, and many will have been used under demanding conditons wher they develop some "patina".

For Nikons, glass is compatible b/n 35mm and current dSLRs.
BUT being that you're in school, really think about what is more important while you're learning photography.
Good Luck

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it and need it too. IgsEMT i have a question for u though, or anyone that knows what he meant. Here is how i feel about this school. I think that anyone can take photos even my mother in-law(lol), but not everyone can be a photographer. I am talking about those people who just make simply stunning photos that when u see them u just stop and say wow. I personally would like to be a photographer which is why i am going to school for it even though i just got my bach in electrical engineering. So i would like to get a ton out of this school. That said from ur statement i gathered that maybe i would get less out of it if i have good gear. If so or even if this isnt what u meant could u please explain to me what u meant. ty

Taking amazing images is as much about talent and creativity as it is about technical photography skills. I was wondering, can talent and creativity be taught?

Canon A-1 or AE-1: lenses are NOT compatible with modern Canon DSLRs
Pentax K1000: same mount as Pentax DSLRs, quite compatible
Minolta X370 or X700: lenses are NOT compatible with Minolta/Sony DSLRs
Olympus OM-1 or OM-2: lenses are NOT compatible with Olympus DSLRs
Nikon FM, FM2, FM-10: same mount as Nikon DSLRs, some compatibility
Vivitar V3800N: Uses Pentax-K mount, some compatiblity with Pentax DSLRs
Canon EOS ELAN 7NE: same mount as Canon DSLRs, compatible

Except the case of the Canon EOS Elan, where lenses are compatible there will generally be somewhat less functionality on modern DSLRs compared to newer more modern lenses. With Nikon and Pentax, some of the modern lenses will work on the older film bodies; those lenses the cover "full frame" and have f/stop rings.

Also, Olympus and Panasonic 4/34rds and their micro4/3rd digital cameras will accept all of these mounts, except EOS, via adapters. Again, functionality is limited.

With no consideration for compatibility, the best of the listed models would be the Nikon FM2, with the FM, OM-2 in a tie for a close second followed by the Pentax K1000. The unlisted Nikon FE/FE2 models would be a match for the OM-2. They don't turn up often, but Nikon's short lived last Nikkormat, the FT3, would also be a very good option.

I would avoid the OM-1 and the otherwise decent Minolta SRT series because of the difficulty it getting replacements for the discontinued batteries. They are available, but its not what I would choose to burden a beginner with.

The Canon AE-1 would be very low on the list as its manual metering is less convenient than the leaders. I wouldn't rank the Minolta models or the other Canons very high on a list for this use, though there can be very decent cameras. This is primarily because they are designed as automatic exposure cameras with manual being somewhat of a minor feature and not as well implemented as it is in the list leaders.

I wonder..what does the teacher use...or has the teacher given you any recommendations?

I have a Canon 500 EOS N (1993 model) which mounts EF lens'

This is great as it also fits my Canon 450D moutn, I say go canon!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back