Starting senior portraits and how much to charge.

This thread makes my head hurt.

I agree with what tired said, so I won't repeat it overly much, but I will stress that what camera you use is no way to measure how much you charge.

Fees depend on the market. Charge what the market will bear. The skill and how in-demand the photographer is will factor into this equation... but frankly... the real determining factor is the latter, and generally the former should affect the latter.

There is nothing here to be sorry for, you just got a LOT of information you didn't have before you started. It's not all about what to charge. What to charge is a product of all that you just got here.
That doesn't mean don't do it, it means do it right and carefully and wisely.

I have "...honest and good advice" ? And there is, I don't count myself as any sort of "professional" in any area of photography. Thank you.
And true. "Experience by itself proves nothing." (C.S. Lewis). Thanks.

Indeed. But I don't really care about the market right now, anything I shoot isn't worth +$150. That's why I'm sticking with my original idea of doing it free and taking the experience. And thanks for that big post.. lol. I'm trying my hardest. They say practice makes better.

You could always have the session free and they pay materials cost for the CD. Then you can avoid any legal ramifications of charging without a business license, your not out any money, and you gain the experience you desire.

You could always have the session free and they pay materials cost for the CD. Then you can avoid any legal ramifications of charging without a business license, your not out any money, and you gain the experience you desire.

How does that avoid any legal ramifications? Once money is exchanged it's business. Period. Charging a session fee is income plain and simple. And if you take $ at cost for the CD you are still in the legal BS there. Now having someone PROVIDE the CD to put them on is the way to get around any $ changing hands.

spacefuzz said:

And what legal ramifications are those, exactly? What state or country are we talking about? Do you even know if a license is required? It isn't where I live?

To the op... Keep in mind that your time is not free... Nor gas... Other expenses.... Nor your equipment...

Don't make the mistake many new photographers make in undervaluing your services... Even if you are new.

I understand.. A friend asked me to shoot their bands album cover. We went out and did that. He said he'd give me a CD in exchange. He didn't care much about quality or sharpness. and conditions were not good for shooting that particular shot. But he didn't mind. they're a small off band.
And another question.. If i do someone's pictures for free, and they offer me money anyway and i take it. Would that be :"legally wrong"?
and yes I've taken those things into consideration.

Why not just get the tax ID and business certificate to be safe? you might be out $50 in an expensive county. If you make 0 you report 0. If you do make money then you report it... You are at least legitimate IF you need it.

Remember the good old days when a kid could set up a lemonade stand? I guess if a high school teenager asked on this forum what they should charge to mow lawns for the summer, they'd also get the business license/sales tax/insurance spiel. *Sigh*

Why not just get the tax ID and business certificate to be safe? you might be out $50 in an expensive county. If you make 0 you report 0. If you do make money then you report it... You are at least legitimate IF you need it.

Do you have experience somewhere where this is required?

Remember the good old days when a kid could set up a lemonade stand? I guess if a high school teenager asked on this forum what they should charge to mow lawns for the summer, they'd also get the business license/sales tax/insurance spiel. *Sigh*

+1

Sometimes people just feel the need to say something.

I would not put a lot of worry about a business license, if you're charging $20 you're probably not making the kind of money you need to worry about if you get sued. Photography is not a licensed business in most states in the US, maybe some have licensing but I doubt it. You should just charge what makes you happy, if you're not looking to do it for a full time business I think you'll be just fine. Now if you are sitting on a small fortune than disregard my advice. If you have something to protect file an LLC and that should be enough. I don't really know what a business certificate is, I'm sure you could create one in photoshop though that would do the same thing as anything that is paid for. Insurance for a business protects your business, do you have a business? So I wouldn't worry about the insurance, again if you get sued and have nothing you are paying insurance that won't do much for you. If you are thinking you can get enough information to start a real business on a forum than I suggest you take some business classes, but I think you're just shooting some friends photos because you enjoy it.

I would not put a lot of worry about a business license, if you're charging $20 you're probably not making the kind of money you need to worry about if you get sued. Photography is not a licensed business in most states in the US, maybe some have licensing but I doubt it. You should just charge what makes you happy, if you're not looking to do it for a full time business I think you'll be just fine. Now if you are sitting on a small fortune than disregard my advice. If you have something to protect file an LLC and that should be enough. I don't really know what a business certificate is, I'm sure you could create one in photoshop though that would do the same thing as anything that is paid for. Insurance for a business protects your business, do you have a business? So I wouldn't worry about the insurance, again if you get sued and have nothing you are paying insurance that won't do much for you. If you are thinking you can get enough information to start a real business on a forum than I suggest you take some business classes, but I think you're just shooting some friends photos because you enjoy it.
Sorry Shooter, but that has to be some of the worst advice I've ever seen given. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if the OP is taking college courses he is over the age of majority, and therefore if he's going to be collecting money for rendering a service, he's in business. Suggesting that someone forge a certificate... well, why not just suggest that he download a copy of Photoshop from a Torrent site too? Insurace is very important, critical in fact. People can and will sue for almost anything. If the person rendering a service doesn't protect himself, he's going to suffer at some point.

There's a world of difference between a elementary school lemonade stand and an adult offering services for a fee. IF the OP wants experience, my suggestion would be to do for free and ask the client(s) to give him a CD/DVD onto which he will burn the images when complete. That should avoid most if not all of the issues of concern.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back