Starting senior portraits and how much to charge.

Regrdless of skill or not, you are not equipped to do this professionally. When you charge any $ you are working in a professional capacity whether you are considering yourself a professional or not in terms of skill.
You will need a business license, Sales and Use tax ID first and foremost. You will need to know what is taxable in your state and municipality and what is not.
You will need the services of an attorney to draw up the necessary contracts for you and your clients. And do NOT skimp on this one. The portrait agreement HAS to be in writing and it has to itemize everything you are promising and everything you are NOT promising as well as what the client's responsiblities are. This is the only thing that will save you from losing everything and more in a lawsuit-regardless of whether the lawsuit is legit or not. There are many contracts available for purchase on the internet, but you really MUST have them reviewed and revised by a contract lawyer in your state. The laws vary so incredibly much that a blanket contract may be invalid or may not cover everything you will need to cover.
You will need the guidance of a good bookkeeper/accountant as to what you need to keep records of and what you need to report. We JUST had someone very similar to you in here last week who has been nailed by the local gov't for not being a legitimate business, not paying taxes. She is not only looking at the local gov't investigation but after that comes the state and the IRS. It's a MUST do.
You will need liability insurance-if a client trips over a cord and your camera falls on their child's head they are going to be holding you liable. That is the world we live in today.

Once you are legally, ethically and financially covered above you'll need to look into your cost of doing business. Once you know your cost of doing business you can determine what you MUST make in order to pay those costs as well as what you need to make above and beyond that to pay yourself a little bit.

I am not going to touch the lack of equipment or knowledge thing. People have started with less, but I also see them quite frequently on You Are Not a Photographer | Exposing fauxtographers since 2011

Not a problem. I have a lot of experience at doing photos. Over 3,200 this year just for the Fire Dept. alone. If you include all other photos that I have taken outside of there this year, I am well over 4,000 pics for the year. Last year I was over 2,200 photos for the year combined. I guess I take a lot of photos.

I was in Maui for a week in June 2008 and I took 1,500 photos.

Not a problem. I have a lot of experience at doing photos. Over 3,200 this year just for the Fire Dept. alone. If you include all other photos that I have taken outside of there this year, I am well over 4,000 pics for the year. Last year I was over 2,200 photos for the year combined. I guess I take a lot of photos.

I am guessing you guys are messing around....this is hardly anything for numbers of photos.

I am guessing you guys are messing around....this is hardly anything for numbers of photos.

1,500 in one week is a fairly large number of photos. I've taken about 41,000 in the 4 years I've owned my DSLRs.

epeen contest! I took 1,500+ photos in Zion over the weekend. :p

lightroom library just surpased 100k. Thank god its not film!

I wish I could say I only shot 1500 images last week! LOL! Between shoots and sports? I was probably somewhere around 3000 or more images!

I wish I could say I only shot 1500 images last week! LOL! Between shoots and sports? I was probably somewhere around 3000 or more images!

One does not go to Maui for a 10th wedding anniversary to take photos.

One does not go to Maui for a 10th wedding anniversary to take photos.

perhaps not photos of the island......

Is this thread about who takes "the most" shots
iconstirthepot.gif

I have only got flash shots of the lightening in my shots and not bolts. Normally if it a severe storm though, I am kinda occupied watching it so I can report in if a situation arises than to be doing photos. If it is not severe, then I grab the camera and try to get the storm shots. I can post some of my storm shots so you can see them if you would like.

Ok sorry i asked.
Why? Because you got some honest and very good advice? Because you now know there's a LOT more to a portraiture than just snapping a few pictures and burning a CD? Photography is a very rewarding profession, but for every photographer that makes enough to keep himself in new gear, never mind food and shelter, there are tens of thousands that never make a cent. This isn't meant to burst your bubble, but rather to help you on your way!

You don't need to be sorry for asking. We are here to help eachother learn. Can't learn it all in a textbook. I've seen a lot of people in my area textbook smart, hand-on stupid. It takes both to succeed. And a lot of time. Starting out small is the best way and I congratulate you for wanting to start out. It will take a lot of time and money to start up but if that is what you want, go for it.

Most reactions

Back