Starting senior portraits and how much to charge.

also remember that the majority of seniors/oap's still don't know how to use a computer so giving them a cd will probably just frustrate them. It's a tough one because there are so many who are pc literate but so many more who aren't.

also remember that the majority of seniors/oap's still don't know how to use a computer so giving them a cd will probably just frustrate them. It's a tough one because there are so many who are pc literate but so many more who aren't.

I think you are thinking of senior citizens, seniors is also a name for people in their last year of high school in the US.

I would not put a lot of worry about a business license, if you're charging $20 you're probably not making the kind of money you need to worry about if you get sued. Photography is not a licensed business in most states in the US, maybe some have licensing but I doubt it. You should just charge what makes you happy, if you're not looking to do it for a full time business I think you'll be just fine. Now if you are sitting on a small fortune than disregard my advice. If you have something to protect file an LLC and that should be enough. I don't really know what a business certificate is, I'm sure you could create one in photoshop though that would do the same thing as anything that is paid for. Insurance for a business protects your business, do you have a business? So I wouldn't worry about the insurance, again if you get sued and have nothing you are paying insurance that won't do much for you. If you are thinking you can get enough information to start a real business on a forum than I suggest you take some business classes, but I think you're just shooting some friends photos because you enjoy it.
Sorry Shooter, but that has to be some of the worst advice I've ever seen given. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if the OP is taking college courses he is over the age of majority, and therefore if he's going to be collecting money for rendering a service, he's in business. Suggesting that someone forge a certificate... well, why not just suggest that he download a copy of Photoshop from a Torrent site too? Insurace is very important, critical in fact. People can and will sue for almost anything. If the person rendering a service doesn't protect himself, he's going to suffer at some point.

There's a world of difference between a elementary school lemonade stand and an adult offering services for a fee. IF the OP wants experience, my suggestion would be to do for free and ask the client(s) to give him a CD/DVD onto which he will burn the images when complete. That should avoid most if not all of the issues of concern.

There is no such thing as a business certificate in the US, if you know of one please show me. There are licenses but photography doesn't need one. And yes I suggest he get PS from a torrent. As far as insuring a business, you are assuming he has something to insure. I don't know what laws are in Canada but in the event he got sued and loss, which would be highly unlikely. You still can file bankruptcy if something crazy unusual happened. When you have figures showing extensive lawsuits lost by photographers percentage wise than yes I would agree. But just like you wouldn't insure a cheap car if you are doing things with good business sense you would not insure a worthless business. I think someone starting a business is a great idea, I would hate to deter them with bad/scary advice. Maybe your insurance agent told you to get insurance? I would be willing to bet less than 50% of photographers in the US have liability insurance. This particular poster definitely won't insure their equipment which is the first thing I would think you would consider insuring. This advice goes for 18-99 year olds who do not have a substantial amount to lose. And even then if you have an LLC that alone would be enough to stop them from the ability to sue for savings. It might be different in Canada, but here even if you lose a lawsuit it's still hard to collect, there isn't a debt police that make sure it is paid back.

I would not put a lot of worry about a business license, if you're charging $20 you're probably not making the kind of money you need to worry about if you get sued. Photography is not a licensed business in most states in the US, maybe some have licensing but I doubt it. You should just charge what makes you happy, if you're not looking to do it for a full time business I think you'll be just fine. Now if you are sitting on a small fortune than disregard my advice. If you have something to protect file an LLC and that should be enough. I don't really know what a business certificate is, I'm sure you could create one in photoshop though that would do the same thing as anything that is paid for. Insurance for a business protects your business, do you have a business? So I wouldn't worry about the insurance, again if you get sued and have nothing you are paying insurance that won't do much for you. If you are thinking you can get enough information to start a real business on a forum than I suggest you take some business classes, but I think you're just shooting some friends photos because you enjoy it.
Sorry Shooter, but that has to be some of the worst advice I've ever seen given. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that if the OP is taking college courses he is over the age of majority, and therefore if he's going to be collecting money for rendering a service, he's in business. Suggesting that someone forge a certificate... well, why not just suggest that he download a copy of Photoshop from a Torrent site too? Insurace is very important, critical in fact. People can and will sue for almost anything. If the person rendering a service doesn't protect himself, he's going to suffer at some point.

There's a world of difference between a elementary school lemonade stand and an adult offering services for a fee. IF the OP wants experience, my suggestion would be to do for free and ask the client(s) to give him a CD/DVD onto which he will burn the images when complete. That should avoid most if not all of the issues of concern.

There is no such thing as a business certificate in the US, if you know of one please show me. There are licenses but photography doesn't need one. And yes I suggest he get PS from a torrent. As far as insuring a business, you are assuming he has something to insure. I don't know what laws are in Canada but in the event he got sued and loss, which would be highly unlikely. You still can file bankruptcy if something crazy unusual happened. When you have figures showing extensive lawsuits lost by photographers percentage wise than yes I would agree. But just like you wouldn't insure a cheap car if you are doing things with good business sense you would not insure a worthless business. I think someone starting a business is a great idea, I would hate to deter them with bad/scary advice. Maybe your insurance agent told you to get insurance? I would be willing to bet less than 50% of photographers in the US have liability insurance. This particular poster definitely won't insure their equipment which is the first thing I would think you would consider insuring. This advice goes for 18-99 year olds who do not have a substantial amount to lose. And even then if you have an LLC that alone would be enough to stop them from the ability to sue for savings. It might be different in Canada, but here even if you lose a lawsuit it's still hard to collect, there isn't a debt police that make sure it is paid back.

Um, yes, there is such thing as a business certificate. I have two of them. It's your license to do business in your town/county. Some rural municipalities may not require it, but most do.
Where I am at it is a $20 fee every 2 years. Big deal. Your sales tax ID in NY is free, all you have to do is apply for it.
If you are a sole proprietor you can be sued for everything you own-house, cars, etc. And we all know that it's entirely possible to win a frivolous law suit in the US. Yes, bankruptcy can protect some of your assets, but it also destroys you for a minimum of 7 to 10 years. Would you want someone to destroy your financial status for the next 7 to 10 years? Just because this is the US and they can?

There is no such thing as a business certificate in the US, if you know of one please show me. There are licenses but photography doesn't need one.
A quick "Google" of five different medium size cities in five different states presents an opposing viewpoint; each one required that ANYONE conducting business of ANY type within their boundaries obtain a license to do so.

And yes I suggest he get PS from a torrent.
So you won't mind if I take some of your pictures and sell them as my own? Pretty much the same thing...

As far as insuring a business, you are assuming he has something to insure.
Most people have a place to live, possessions, savings, etc. Take a few minutes and search "frivilous lawsuits" and similar terms to find out some of the crazy things people have sued for and won.

I don't know what laws are in Canada
In general, very similar to those in the US

but in the event he got sued and loss, which would be highly unlikely. You still can file bankruptcy
So, for the sake of a $20 disc of images, he should lose his credit, possessions, and reputation for seven or more years. Does that seem reasonable to you?

Shooter, I have to ask: How old are you, and do you have any knowledge of business? Have you ever held a job as a supervisor, manager, or higher-level private sector position or owned your own company? Your suggestions seem to me to be those of a high-school student with little or no real-world knowledge. I would NEVER discourage anyone from going into business, but I will ALWAYS discourage people from going into business without the necessary tools or knowledge. I fully appreciate the "it's a $20 CD of pictures, who's going to care" attitude; and while it may seem unlikely, I can assure you that many government agencies do care. A LOT!

Last edited:
--- cmon. Free is not a good teaching statement.

I'll try.

You took a class in photography. Assuming the goal of the class was to teach you basics. Don't believe any photo teacher/instructor would allow a p&s in a class for teaching pro photography.

Anyway they shouldn't.

So a class in photography with - in your mind - becoming pro.

Until you get pro equipment you should be building a portfolio with whatever camera is in your hands. Then when you can swing it, get a good SLR... not just a Rebel but a true pro quality camera. By the time you swing that you will have shot a lot of images and played with post processing and spent time beyond class and bucks you probably don't have (like the rest of us pros). By then you will have paid enough dues to charge for your work.
Until then, either don't take on the work by stating you are a learning photog - not a pro. (a Professional is one who is paid for the work they do) And you would like to build your portfolio. Or you can share the images so they can get prints made... maybe. The risk here is they will get prints made and if the images are not up to your normal work, the party you are shooting for will tell everyone you shot the work. Yikes. Bad rep before you even get started. Where do YOU print? Will who ever prints your images do the same for the "new customer?"
That's more gentle than just saying FREE... isn't it?

Probably the best way to avoid a lawsuit is to write a contract, read it over with your client, and have them sign it

Probably the best way to avoid a lawsuit is to write a contract, read it over with your client, and have them sign it
Um, you are dredging up old posts.

As long as you have a business license and insurance you should be ok. Just make sure you pay your Uncle Sam and your State and keep good records.

Yeah at first I wanted to do free, then thought how I needed the money. So I figured twenty. And I know my camera is crap compared to any SLR. That's why I'm throwing a CD into the package and if they'd like me to I'll go make prints for them as long as they pay for the prints. Thanks though.
If you wanna see see my "work" here's a link.. Flickr: noiro_103's Photostream

$20 seems high given you have no real gear. And who cares about cd's? They wants the jpegs to post on FB yo. Just go take the pics and tell them to pay you what is fair after you give them the picks.

As long as you have a business license and insurance you should be ok. Just make sure you pay your Uncle Sam and your State and keep good records.

Dude he is talking about cash from a bunch of highschool kids. Taxes, lol. If he makes $50 total I would be surprised.

It's delightfully creepy how these old threads with PG keep getting reborn...

20 sounds right...but since you can use all the modes add 10 more
You should get paid for all your skills.

Sorry, just giving you a hard time.

Really...do them for free. Use the chance to learn and see if you like doing it. Then all your friends you shoot will owe you one.

Rent a pro-camera from someone like BorrowLenses.com and charge pro-rates to cover the rental. Charge what you feel you're worth. If you feel like a rookie, charge like a rookie, but if you're serious about making a business use the right tools for the job and charge the going rate. Be the photographer you want to be.

Most reactions

Back