Statue and flower... I am really proud of this one. C&C Please!

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another that I took today. This is a statue at my grandmothers house. I got the flower in the foreground in focus on purpose with the blurred statue background, and I think it worked out VERY nicely. Since I have (re) found my interest in photography, this is probably my favorite photo so far. C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

2815428677_deac8ee7a8_o.jpg

C&C per req:
(Just as a thought, I recommend refraining from saying such things as: "My favorite photo" or "My best work" etc, as makes some people a little reticent to provide C&C for fear of causing offense. I have no such fear however)
Overall, not a bad image. A couple of thoughts: I think the crop coule have been opened up a little to include the top of the statue's head and the rest of the right-hand most flower, and a selective saturation boost of the flowers themselves wouldn't hurt. The lighting isn't bad, but not ideal; either a reflector or small fill light lower image right would have helped as well.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

That is a good point about saying best/favorite/etc. Didn't consider that. I'll refrain from that from now on. I definitely want honest critique, be it good or bad. I am here to learn and grow and become a better photographer.

When you mention a reflector or fill light, do you mean lighting the other side of the statue?

Thanks John.

I like the subtle tones of the statue, almost like a sepia effect without one.

I wonder how this would look as a vertical frame rather than a horizontal one?

When you mention a reflector or fill light, do you mean lighting the other side of the statue?

Yes, but illuminating rather than lighting; that is: Placing a reflector low down and to image right aimed in such a way that it gave a bit more illumination to the RH side of the image. All your light is coming in from image left, and there are some very hard shadows and dark areas. on the right side; not showstoppers, but these are sorts of subtle things that can make the difference between a nice image and an award winner.

I also like the colors and wonder what it would look like in black& white. I also agree with John about the crop.
Troy

I will have to give that a shot next time I go over there for a visit. I will also snap some in a vertical orientation instead of horizontal and see how that works out.

Thanks a lot!

<edit>

I actually tried it in black and white to begin with, but I think it lost some of it's appeal when it was gray scale.

Most reactions

Back