Steady city with blurs?

silver163

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I live in Chicago and I have often seen photographs of busy intersections where the city itself is in focus but the cars are only visible by their headlights or taillights, which nothing much but a blur. how can i do this with my pentax k100d camera? please help?

Set up on a tripod with a long shutter speed. You should be able to meter the shot. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use the timer or a remote shutter. That would reduce any shake you get from pressing the shutter release.
Dug

For this kind of night photography you definitely need to put your camera on tripod as you will need long exposures and you want to avoid any camera shake.

- set the camera to ISO 100 (this will reduce the noise)
- use cable release or self-timer
- You can do this in shutter speed priority mode and experiment with different times - anything between 16-30 seconds; or
- manual mode, shutter 16-30 seconds at f8-f22 aperture

Guess and check my man. You have an LCD which makes it very easy to get it right. Try it out with f/8 and 8 seconds, take it up or down from there.

A nice feature to keep in mind, a wider aperture makes streetlights look like blobs, and small apertures make street lights look like stars. Side note: the star will have the same number of points as the number of aperture blades your lens has.

thanks everyone, much appreciated!

You will be surprised how long 6-8 seconds can be... :)

I went through this experimentation a few times... I measured with a stop watch how long it took for a car to enter and exit my viewfinder. I set my shutter that length of time and metered accordingly. If it is too long then an ND filter will help

Just another way to try..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back