c.cloudwalker, ditto on the cropping. When I crop, I try to make sure it's something I'm doing that is because I was limited by the equipment I had. There are quite a few shots that I've cropped because my lens didn't quite have enough reach; that's when I'm thankful I've got 12MP to work with. Or sometimes, the 2:3 aspect ratio doesn't work well. (I have cropped out around half an image for these reasons before, and sometimes, dumped most of the image, like
this one, but that was because I couldn't get in close enough with the lens I had on.)
As for photojournalism, pft. If you aren't close enough to the action, I say
run (I think I *really* cropped, two photos in that set?)...as long as you aren't running toward a tank or something like that. So I disagree that cropping is a sign that you "don't know what you're doing", but completely agree that it's, well, just better form to crop as much as possible in camera. Plus the bonus to IQ is tremedous when you avoid cropping.