Stepping out of your comfort zone.....

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first and last time I tried maternity photos was about 2 years ago now and I failed pretty miserably. we got a few silhouette shots that my friend was pleased with but most were pretty embarrassing. However, I now know exactly where I went wrong.

The only time I have tried to shoot newborns, was for my second son two and a half years ago. I got a few very nice images but nothing spectacular.

A pretty close friend of mine is pregnant, due in december. I have done photos of her before and she was happy with them, and she has agreed to model for me in the future for an idea that I have. I would REALLY love the chance to photograph her maternity pictures, and the new born photos. However, there is another lady we know who is probably more qualified for the job. She has more experience with maternity and babies, and has also photographed her before, but last time I checked she had gotten her business licensee and was trying to head that direction. I don't know if she has already asked the other photographer to do her photos and for some reason I am afraid to ask her. I suppose I feel like if I screw up again I've ruined the memory. Babies grow FAST, and if I DID screw up then having to try and do more than one shoot in those first few weeks of life is not ideal.

Anyways, I am trying to figure out if its worth stepping out of my comfort zone, either getting rejected because she has someone lined up, or getting accepted and then screwing it up.....

all thoughts are appreciated!

why don't you both do it - the other lady paid, you as a 2nd shooter or a tagalong for experience.

why don't you both do it - the other lady paid, you as a 2nd shooter or a tagalong for experience.
I would be willing too, however the other lady would DEFINITELY not. She doesnt like me because apparently I am "not nice" Not to mention that we have VERY VERY different shooting styles.

I'd just ask your friend if she'd be interested in letting you try some shots, just for practice. Be upfront about the fact that you've only done maternity once before, and you're just trying to learn it. If she's a good friend, chances are she'll be willing to help.
And if *you* are a good friend, you won't mind if she still has the other lady, or someone else with more experience, do other shots.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with a dear friend of mine who is pregnant. She and her husband (my pastor's son) lost their first child just over a year ago. So we are all incredibly excited for this second pregnancy!
I'm going to try both some maternity shots and some newborn ones, neither of which I have ever done before. She knows that, but she wants me to try. She also knows that my feelings will not be one bit hurt if she turns around and gets someone else to do a session as well. It's just no big deal--either way, I get to practice something I'm not comfortable with.

I'd just ask your friend if she'd be interested in letting you try some shots, just for practice. Be upfront about the fact that you've only done maternity once before, and you're just trying to learn it. If she's a good friend, chances are she'll be willing to help. And if *you* are a good friend, you won't mind if she still has the other lady, or someone else with more experience, do other shots. That's pretty much what I'm doing with a dear friend of mine who is pregnant. She and her husband (my pastor's son) lost their first child just over a year ago. So we are all incredibly excited for this second pregnancy! I'm going to try both some maternity shots and some newborn ones, neither of which I have ever done before. She knows that, but she wants me to try. She also knows that my feelings will not be one bit hurt if she turns around and gets someone else to do a session as well. It's just no big deal--either way, I get to practice something I'm not comfortable with.

I would absolutely understand if she wanted them done by a professional, no hard feelings! I'm just concerned she won't have time for more than 1 shoot. She is a pretty busy lady. I suppose all I can do is ask....

I'd just ask your friend if she'd be interested in letting you try some shots, just for practice. Be upfront about the fact that you've only done maternity once before, and you're just trying to learn it. If she's a good friend, chances are she'll be willing to help. And if *you* are a good friend, you won't mind if she still has the other lady, or someone else with more experience, do other shots. That's pretty much what I'm doing with a dear friend of mine who is pregnant. She and her husband (my pastor's son) lost their first child just over a year ago. So we are all incredibly excited for this second pregnancy! I'm going to try both some maternity shots and some newborn ones, neither of which I have ever done before. She knows that, but she wants me to try. She also knows that my feelings will not be one bit hurt if she turns around and gets someone else to do a session as well. It's just no big deal--either way, I get to practice something I'm not comfortable with.

I would absolutely understand if she wanted them done by a professional, no hard feelings! I'm just concerned she won't have time for more than 1 shoot. She is a pretty busy lady. I suppose all I can do is ask....

Absolutely! Yeah, she might plan to have someone else do them and she might be too busy to do more than one shoot. But there's at least a chance she'd do it. On the other hand, if you don't even ask her, I'd say the chance of your doing a shoot with her is non-existent. So, just ask.
But if she DOES say no--especially, if she says, "oh sorry, but I already booked our friend Ms. Spectacular Photo Taker to do it," don't take it as a reflection of either your friendship or your photo skills. Just move on and find someone else you can practice on. Grab a friend who IS willing and stuff a pillow under their blouse. LOL.

Absolutely! Yeah, she might plan to have someone else do them and she might be too busy to do more than one shoot. But there's at least a chance she'd do it. On the other hand, if you don't even ask her, I'd say the chance of your doing a shoot with her is non-existent. So, just ask. But if she DOES say no--especially, if she says, "oh sorry, but I already booked our friend Ms. Spectacular Photo Taker to do it," don't take it as a reflection of either your friendship or your photo skills. Just move on and find someone else you can practice on. Grab a friend who IS willing and stuff a pillow under their blouse. LOL.
Let's go with "mrs more qualified" ;-) it makes me feel better. Hahahaha.
:giggle: pillows! brilliant! I knew I stuck around TPF for a reason!

And remember, if she says "Yes" make sure you let us know how it went, and let us see a photo or two! :)

And remember, if she says "Yes" make sure you let us know how it went, and let us see a photo or two! :)
of course!! Nothing like a good tpf reveal to rip me a new one. :giggle:

OP...If she will model for you, why not? The only thing you will lose is both of your time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back