Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
*Not a rant, I just have some time to waste*

My manager and some senior colleagues want me to photograph this group photo of theirs for a "friendship-day special" competition at my workplace where the best friendship-day group photograph gets some prize or something. I can't really say no (not that I want to), but my skills aren't exactly that great when it comes to portraits and stuff! But of course "you take good photos of animals & stuff, you should be the photographer!"

Then comes the funny part, one of my seniors recently bought a D5200 because "he's such a photography enthusiast"; but he wants me to bring my "professional camera" along because obviously "from the pictures you upload (on facebook) i can say, your camera is so much better than mine!" :irked: WHAT?

Last edited:
*Not a rant, I just have some time to waste*

My manager and some senior colleagues want me to photograph this group photo of theirs for a "friendship-day special" competition at my workplace where the best friendship-day group photograph gets some prize or something. I can't really say no (not that I want to), but my skills aren't exactly that great when it comes to portraits and stuff! But of course "you take good photos of animals & stuff, you should be the photographer!"

Then comes the funny part, one of my seniors recently bought a D5200 because he's such a photography enthusiast'; but he wants me to bring my "professional camera" along because obviously "from the pictures you upload (on facebook) i can say, your camera is so much better than mine!" :irked: WHAT?

Guess he doesn't realize that's it's the photographer that is soooo much better :) As for the comment that you take good photo's of animals and stuff so you should be the photographer, I get that a lot. Including from the friend of mine who got married two weeks ago and had me to her photography for it. I tried to explain the difference, but it didn't work. So, I bought a stuffed owl (wildlife) and made her hold it for a few shots :p

I wouldn't respond with anything. Just take pictures, process them, and post them. He'll still be impressed.

Tell him you don't have insurance to cover any accidents because if anything happened while you are photographing them you would be liable

Guess he doesn't realize that's it's the photographer that is soooo much better :)
Thanks Barb :D I now know why I keep coming back to this place :lol: I think I'll give that stuffed owl idea a try, or maybe I'll make them dress as owls, you know friendship day special :lmao: :lmao:
I wouldn't respond with anything. Just take pictures, process them, and post them. He'll still be impressed.
I hope so, I really have very little experience shooting indoors but hey, if it turns out under/over exposed or horribly bad in infinite other ways I'll just call it an artistic touch.. :p

And so it begins… :D
This is exactly how I've gotten roped into pretty much every photo shoot involving people that I've ever done. "My, what a BIG camera you have! You must be a pro; therefore, take our pictures for us."
Or, "Wow, you take such fabulous photos of birds and flowers. So obviously, you are the perfect person to take our prom pictures/baby pictures/engagement pictures, etc for us."

Here's what I do: I go on and on, and on about how very bad I am at people photography. I tell them at least a dozen times that being able to take pretty pictures of birds and inanimate objects does NOT translate into portrait photography.
THEN I tell them I will do it, but I will not promise that I won't s*ck at it, and when they hate the results, they'll have only themselves to blame.

It's not a strategy for everyone, but it's worked out well for me. Lower their expectations as far as possible, so that no matter WHAT you deliver, it's almost guaranteed to be appreciated! :lmao:

That sounds like an almost believable strategy, Sharon, except that it comes from someone who has her photography on the city buses and billboards. I think you've earned your "professional" wings by now.

Raj, think of it as street shooting, with subjects that won't (hopefully) run away, and will smile in your direction. Also don't discount the blackmail possibilities of really bad poses/faces. :lol:

I have to admit, the "Oh, you must have a REALLY good camera" comments are a bit irritating. I have one friend who comments on photos of my kids all the time - "I love this shot! I really have to get a new camera!" It totally discounts the reading, thinking, practice, and time I've put into getting better (and I am by no means "good" yet).

But then there are the inverse comments on a local photography group on Facebook "Oh, this girl was shooting with a Rebel like she was some kinda pro, teehee", don't help either. Ha!

I've seen your people shots, Raj, you capture their personality. That's what is important. But you might want to take your equipment indoors a few times before then - shooting inside always shocks me with how challenging the light is! I can't remember, do you have a fast prime lens? I only ever use my 50mm f/1.8 indoors anymore.

I have to admit, the "Oh, you must have a REALLY good camera" comments are a bit irritating. I have one friend who comments on photos of my kids all the time - "I love this shot! I really have to get a new camera!" It totally discounts the reading, thinking, practice, and time I've put into getting better (and I am by no means "good" yet).

But then there are the inverse comments on a local photography group on Facebook "Oh, this girl was shooting with a Rebel like she was some kinda pro, teehee", don't help either. Ha!

I've seen your people shots, Raj, you capture their personality. That's what is important. But you might want to take your equipment indoors a few times before then - shooting inside always shocks me with how challenging the light is! I can't remember, do you have a fast prime lens? I only ever use my 50mm f/1.8 indoors anymore.

Oh you bet it's irritating, the same person (the photography enthusiast) was coaching me on the secrets of photography the other day, on how the ISO should always be kept very low. I just said "I'll try my best to do so!" and move on. :lmao:

I don't have any prime lenses unfortunately, all I have is Sigma 24-70 f2.8-4 (from Pixmedic) for this. I love Sharons suggestion though, I'm going to follow it word by word :lol:

And so it begins… :D
This is exactly how I've gotten roped into pretty much every photo shoot involving people that I've ever done. "My, what a BIG camera you have! You must be a pro; therefore, take our pictures for us."
Or, "Wow, you take such fabulous photos of birds and flowers. So obviously, you are the perfect person to take our prom pictures/baby pictures/engagement pictures, etc for us."

Here's what I do: I go on and on, and on about how very bad I am at people photography. I tell them at least a dozen times that being able to take pretty pictures of birds and inanimate objects does NOT translate into portrait photography.
THEN I tell them I will do it, but I will not promise that I won't s*ck at it, and when they hate the results, they'll have only themselves to blame.

It's not a strategy for everyone, but it's worked out well for me. Lower their expectations as far as possible, so that no matter WHAT you deliver, it's almost guaranteed to be appreciated! :lmao:

I am so going to follow this strategy, thanks Sharon :lol:. Thankfully I am not very social and have a very limited set of people I interact with on a daily basis, the upside being not too many engagements or proms :lmao:.. I will go one better though, I'll promise them that "I suck at people shots" and if they still want me to do it; sure, why not! :)

That sounds like an almost believable strategy, Sharon, except that it comes from someone who has her photography on the city buses and billboards. I think you've earned your "professional" wings by now.
What city bus? Which billboard? Which pictures? Why don't I know about this? :x

Raj, think of it as street shooting, with subjects that won't (hopefully) run away, and will smile in your direction. Also don't discount the blackmail possibilities of really bad poses/faces.
Thanks Paul, that's what bothers me. Street photography is something I can relate to as it's actually very much like photographing wildlife. The subjects do what they are doing, unaware of my camera, and so I can make a very natural looking photograph out of it!

The problem for me starts when people start posing, that's an entirely new universe for me.. :meh:

Last edited:
Welcome to the SUCKER club :) :) You will do fine. I love the idea about lowering expectations. Maybe even destroying them.

Raj, just take a few direct-flash photos at the beginning and show them to the "victims". That'll take care of crushing expectations. THEN do the nice shots you're capable of... and you'll be a hero! (IF you want to be one. If you never want to be asked again - continue with the direct flash shots. :D ).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by pgriz

What city bus? Which billboard? Which pictures? Why don't I know about this? :-x

I think that was during one of your absences, when Sharon got her pictures printed and put on buses and billboards for the bus ridership encouragement program (or some such thing - Sharon can correct my tenuous grasp of the actual facts :blushing: ). There's a thread hanging about maybe 6 months ago when Sharon told us of having this honour, and showed us some of the images...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back