STEREO thread!

That is the most frustrating thread on TFP ever!!!! I have never been able to see a 3D image from a stereo pair and those are no exception (and I have the same problem with those 'Magic eye' books)....:grumpy:

may I recommend a stereoscope? I've picked up a book called "The Universe in 3D" - and it comes with 2 lenses that allow you to view the parallel stereo pairs easily. I don't know if you want to go this far to view stereo, but for me - it was a must have being that I am such a huge stereo fanatic.

I recently found this:

http://www.loreo.com/pages/shop/loreo_products_online.html#

a specialized lens for all kinds of SLR cameras that allows to capture stereo images with one shutter actuation by splitting the image into 2 via a prism.

It's around 50 bucks, so I'm considering getting one. The huge pluses are - no more need to have your subject be completely stationary while taking photos. You can actually take photos of all kinds of stuff - imagine a long exposure photo with trails and such in stereo! I'm getting ideas even as I type.

The negatives are - only f11 and f22 apertures available. No zooming. No focusing. Plus you'd be stuck with vertical stereograms only - no horizontal splitting available.

All in all, I think it's a good lens to have, even if for simple snapshots to preserve memory. I've been driving my spouse crazy with having her pose motionlessly while I take photos - wont have to do that anymore. And for all those creative/horizontal stereo photos - one could always switch back to either a paired camera setup or good old "take a photo, step to the side, take another photo"

This is cool. I still like one of the first with the man sitting near the grape vines. I'm only able to do the parallel versions by looking past my monitor. Cross-eyed gives me a head-ache. I also have trouble with the larger pictures. I have to sit back from the monitor to get it to come close but still am not able to view those. Keep'm coming!

..... Keep'm coming!

Gladly! Here's a stereo HDR photo - each side is made up of 3 photos of different exposures.

Parallel
Belarus_Fortress_Paralell.jpg

Cross Eyed
Belarus_Fortress_Cross.jpg

Here is a good supplier of stereo-pair gear. Take a look at the section on "slide bars". Lets you attach your camera to a tripod but also allows sliding it from side to side the required distance. If you're getting into stereo-pairs, its a basic tool.

3dstereo.com/

Here is a good supplier of stereo-pair gear. Take a look at the section on "slide bars". Lets you attach your camera to a tripod but also allows sliding it from side to side the required distance. If you're getting into stereo-pairs, its a basic tool.

3dstereo.com/

It's cool, but I don't know if it's worth carrying with you all the time. You'll need a tripod with that too, I'm sure, so it really limits your list of places you'll be able to take it with. I'm still considering buying that stereo lens, though.

just_X_joey - you might want to use some kind of a stereo viewer - the site that CPayton sent a link to has one. Trust me, one extra dimension is well worth being able to see :)

Finally got the parallax (slide) bar that I ordered from 3dstereo.com. It was supposed to be in stock when I ordered it but it turned out they had sold the last one the same day. Anyway ...

Desktop setup with toy Volkswagen and three paper cranes. The side-to-side displacement was about 1/2 inch total.

Pentax K100D
Pentax FA 50mm 1.4
1/20 sec
F4
ISO 200
Some post work in PS CS2

Crossed

volksandcranescrossed.jpg

Parallel

volksandcranesparallel.jpg

C&C encouraged

You know, these might be really good for teaching beginners about DOF.

WOW!!! FREAKIN' COOL!!!

HOLY MOLY!! I DID IT!!;):thumbup::mrgreen:

I Present my first attempt...........

2j3fzus.jpg

Attempt #2 with a little more displacement and a smaller size. :D

24c8rj6.jpg

Parallel

Here's the crosseye version which (to me) seems to pop more.

This is FUN! :mrgreen:

2z7jy15.jpg

Here's a couple more.......

I know they aren't very well composed, but I'm just trying to get the tecnique down. :)

avq58o.jpg

2w53vcg.jpg

a23jt0.jpg

Most reactions

Back