Stick with D7100 or upgrade?

juicegoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own a D7100 but was considering upgrading to fullframe. I know the D7100 has some newer features compared to the fx nikons. I would probably be going for the 610. Is it worth it other then fx sensor and better low light?

In terms of features and functions the D610 would be a step backwards from the D7100 - max shutter speed, flash x-sync speed, fps rate, AEB, AF module, AF detection range (EV).

Using supplemental lighting generally produces a higher quality photograph than only using ambient light.
So a bit more low light performance comes at a cost of camera usability in other, sometimes more critical, performance.

Last edited:
When I switched from using the D7000 to the D600 I noticed a huge improvement in low light performance. I can shoot with ISO of 6400 and this would produce equivelant noise to ISO 1600 shot with the D7000

When I switched from using the D7000 to the D600 I noticed a huge improvement in low light performance. I can shoot with ISO of 6400 and this would produce equivelant noise to ISO 1600 shot with the D7000

that's really the only advantage the D610 has over the D7100. everything else is a step back like kmh has noted; and the d7100 can hold its own in low-light.

There is nothing wrong with my D7100 other then low light performance at higher iso. I find that there are a lot of time im not able to use a flash and so iso performance is needed. If one were to be upgrading from the d7100 which FX body would you recommend?

I find with the d7100 that if you shoot raw and edit in lightroom that the luminance noise slider can be pushed to 25 or even 30 @ say 3200 or 6400 and the sharpening to 35 ish plus with a pleasing result with plenty detail. This may be not good enough for your needs still but I would look down post processing routes before a big camera spend

that's really the only advantage the D610 has over the D7100. everything else is a step back like kmh has noted; and the d7100 can hold its own in low-light.

BS. If low light photography in ambient light is what you do a lot of then the D610 blows the D7100 away. I would say the improvements the d7100 has over the 610 are minor. I'm telling you from experience having shot both the d600 and d7100 in low light. Sorry the d7100 didn't meet my expectations. There are other significant benefits of FX sensors over DX sensors maybe someone else can chime in on those as I'm driving to work

Well my interest in upgrading is a result of an interest by someone in my camera. So if i sell it and go fx i want to make sure it is comparable. I shoot manual and single point focus so the focus points arent a huge issue for me. Is the autofocus engine that much better?

I currently own a D7100 but was considering upgrading to fullframe. I know the D7100 has some newer features compared to the fx nikons. I would probably be going for the 610. Is it worth it other then fx sensor and better low light?

I'd be more interested in a used D800 than a new D610.

I am not against any fx. Obviously the higher end bodies are out of my price range but still. I've always seen that the d600 had better low light performance then the d800 plus smaller file sizes.

When I upgraded to the D7100 from my old D7000 I was considering the D600 (no D610 back then).
I have decided to get the D7100 and wait a year or two for the D600 replacement.
I dont see the D610 as a real replacement, the D610 is basically what the D600 should have been like at the first place.
I wouldnt upgrade from the D7100 to the D610, if low light is a huge issue for you then by all mean upgrade and if not then wait for a REAL replacement, thats what I am doing!

$edit.jpg$original.jpg
Not sure if this is a futile exercise due the size of images etc, Iam not sure this needs to be a ff vs crop camera thread either. Its been done a million times and ff is better for low light using same generation sensors, no doubt. The 7100 files seem to handle pp fairly well. The numbers I posted for sharpening and noise reduction above were only examples but I have used a few cameras and the files turn to mush sooner in my opinion than d7100. Above is a very mediocre photo taken at 1/13th sec f2.8 iso 5000(so it was quite dark). Its a poor picture but just an example of before and after. Someone (not me) who is good at pp could certainly drag a more usable image out of this, but if it was a nice shot I think it would be usable

For info edited is left with the highlights toned down and noise reduction/sharpening applied

There is nothing wrong with my D7100 other then low light performance at higher iso. I find that there are a lot of time im not able to use a flash and so iso performance is needed. If one were to be upgrading from the d7100 which FX body would you recommend?

I'm in the same situation, I absolutely love my D7100 but the noise at higher ISO is killing me. So I ordered a D800. I chose a D800 over a D610 because of multiple reasons. Outside of the FX sensor, the D7100 is more advance than the D610. The D800 on the other hand is to FX like the D7100 is to DX. It's got the larger MP sensor for example. Anyhow, the cost of the D800 is steep but I think it's a good investment. Technology wise, it should be good for years.

BS. If low light photography in ambient light is what you do a lot of then the D610 blows the D7100 away. I would say the improvements the d7100 has over the 610 are minor. I'm telling you from experience having shot both the d600 and d7100 in low light. Sorry the d7100 didn't meet my expectations. There are other significant benefits of FX sensors over DX sensors maybe someone else can chime in on those as I'm driving to work

I wasn't saying the D7100 was as good as the D610 in that regard, only that it's not bad for a DX sensor. If the OP wants something that handles low-light better, than maybe it's a good upgrade, if not, there's many more advantages of the D7100 over the D610 is all I was getting at, For example, the D7100 would probably be a better camera to shoot wildlife with since it has 24MP to the 16MP of the D610 in DX mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back