Sticker shock, photography hobby is expensive, $20,000 lens??

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought my first new lens. As I was browsing the lenses, I cannot believe lenses for $15-$20,000. Do any of you own these? If so, you must be a professional photographer for NFL football, haha!!

I have more money in my camera gear than I do in my Harley….Wish I could spend that amount on the bike as well…..

_MG_22340.jpg

If youre paying 20k for a lens I'd say it's more than just a hobby--- that would be a full time professional job! Unless someone just has the extra cash to spend. I paid 200 for my 2nd lens. Def just a hobby at this point. :)

Last edited:
I think there are users on the forum that own a 400mm f/2.8 or 600mm f/4.0 that are not using it for employment.

I love how nearly half of the most expensive lenses out there are Sigma lenses - yeah 3rd party is cheap................. someone should tell Sigma that ;)

As for lenses my most is a 120-300mm f2.8 - but I got my eye on those big 500mm f4 L lenses!

My guess is that many pros rent the super-lenses when they're needed if they don't use it on a routine and often basis.

I have friends who went Africa safari-ing and rented super lenses for the trip; lenses they would rarely use otherwise.

A lot of pros either rent or shoot company owned gear - and generally because its all insured and not theirs such gear can (though not always) go through hell and back again in terms of use (esp if they are shooting things like protests or war).

I love how nearly half of the most expensive lenses out there are Sigma lenses - yeah 3rd party is cheap................. someone should tell Sigma that ;)

As for lenses my most is a 120-300mm f2.8 - but I got my eye on those big 500mm f4 L lenses!

This is why I'll be keeping my Pentax gear and going Nikon.
Pentax is soon to come out with an F5.6, 560mm
Should be one hell of a lens.
CPPPentax02.jpg

Saving for the nikon 85mm. 1.4 lens $1700 is expensive enough for me lol.

luvmyfamily said:
I just bought my first new lens. As I was browsing the lenses, I cannot believe lenses for $15-$20,000. Do any of you own these? If so, you must be a professional photographer for NFL football, haha!!

Everything in photography is expensive!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back