Sticking Shutter...

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D50 that I've used off and on for the past few years and recently on occasion I'll take a shot and the shutter will stay open until I hit the release a 2nd time, almost like it's in BULB though it definitely isn't. It doesn't save a picture afterwards either.

Any idea what could cause this? I'm hoping a good cleaning will fix this but I'm somewhat concerned.

Thanks

Sounds to like you're going to be in the market for a shutter replacement soon. Are you getting an 'Err--' message on the top LCD?

Not that I noticed... but I'll keep my eyes open. Any guess how much that'd cost? I think at this point I'd need to decide if the money would be better spent on a new body like the D90. Do you think cleaning would help or would've prevented this?

Thanks for the advice.

Nikon shutters typically run around $350 installed. I would say that the money would be better spent on an upgrade.

Often times people mistake mirror slap noise for shutter noise. It's the mirror that makes most of the noise.

However, the fact it doesn't write to the memory card is not a good sign. I doubt a good cleaning will correct the problem, but there is only one way to find out.

Nikon Authorized Repair List

Last edited:
Strange problem, maybe try reinstalling the firmware.

Most reactions

Back