Still have your first shots ever??

I'll regret this - early shots - not the very first (they are gone for good thankfully - but early shots when I started to get a little more into photography). I can truly say that in those early days I was stumped by photography:

3260903313_d4da40d014_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3506/3260903313_807cb6a232_o.jpg
more -- if you really want to see 2008 March 10 « Overread’s Weblog

I reread the thread title 3 times...

Yes. Yes, I do.
I was 6.
And although the camera was cracked and was letting light in on every shot... hey, ya know what? Even as a little critter, I kinda had an eye for composition.

scan0001-1.jpg

Its most likely in my parent's many albums at home somewhere... even then, I wouldn't know which was the "very first". Probably some boring shot of my parents or family as we on vacation shot on a Pentax auto 110. It wasn't a few years later that I managed to get m hands on my father's Minolta 7000 before I was really shooting. For me, the 1st is irrelevant..

There are two important shots in my life....

1) A picture of boats shot over a bridge on 35mm... probably 10 or so. The scene caught my eye for some reason and I quickly snapped it as my mother was yelling at me to quickly take their picture. For some reason, my mother always wanted pictures to have people in it (family vacations). She later saw it in the stack and said "Looks like a Post card." She didn't know it at the time, but that single comment made me look beyond just taking family vacation pictures but really examine how to frame a good picture of almost anything. She sparked a life long hobby and interest.

2) Nov 30th 2006. Birth of my son. We had an unexpected turn of the worse during delivery and the doctor rushed us to the emergency for a c-section. I was at my wife's side and they had a curtain up blocking my view of the surgery. One of the surgeons was wearing a glass face mask and I could see the procedure in the reflection of the face protector/mask. A few moments later, I glanced up and I saw them "pulling" my son out of the womb. I took out my P&S, held it over my head (over the curtain) and took three shots blind. When I returned home to examine the photos, I discovered a perfectly framed photo of my son being held by our doctor with his hand out waiting for the assistant surgeon to hand him the scissors to cut the cord. Probably the most wonderful sight any father can capture. The moments just before the "official" birth before he even took his first breath.

I dont have them but, I do believe my Mom does. My firsts were with an old 120 camera my grandpa gave me. That was in 68" BTW.

Most reactions

Back