Still Life: Onions C&C Welcome

is this better?

$onionse.jpg

Tried that, Charlie...was way too hard but then again it was a 72 dpi file, too..I just gave it some some paint laters trying to match some of the less blown out spot's colors...also added a bit of depth to the background...anytime you dink with someone else's image, it starts getting a little weird...:lol:

$ricks onion.jpg

Thanks Charlie. I'll give it a go. So much for SOOC...:lol:

I like the composition, Rick. But as others have said the hot spots and warm WB lead to somewhat of a posterization around the highlights.

Sometimes you just can't have a winner SOOC, but it was a great effort.

I would hang this in MY kitchen.

What is your light set-up? How big a diffuser, and distance?
I know little about lighting, I'm asking to help my understanding.

Oh, and that little bit of added space on the sides works very well to me. It didn't need a whole bunch, just that little bit. Fun to see subtle changes make bigger visual differences.

I would hang this in MY kitchen.

What is your light set-up? How big a diffuser, and distance?
I know little about lighting, I'm asking to help my understanding.

Oh, and that little bit of added space on the sides works very well to me. It didn't need a whole bunch, just that little bit. Fun to see subtle changes make bigger visual differences.

Well my lighting setup is actually quite elaborate. It a $10.00 utility reflector with a 70 watt floresent tube and a piece of tracing paper taped over the front as a diffuser. :biggrin: I had the light about 18" from the closest onion.

But that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to see what can be done with as little as possible.

Thanks!

I cheap is fine.

I'm just trying to work out how to not get the blown highlight, without ruining what you have.

Nice Charlie! You got over ran in the posts and I missed this. I need to play with it some more and try to replicate your version. I have no idea if there's any difference, but I have lightroom ordered and I downloaded the 17 hours of tutorials that were offered free this month. I'm hoping PP will come a little easier. I'm currently using Paintshop Pro 5, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks!

I cheap is fine.

I'm just trying to work out how to not get the blown highlight, without ruining what you have.
There's a lot of information online regarding building softboxes. That may be an upcoming project.

Tried that, Charlie...was way too hard but then again it was a 72 dpi file, too..I just gave it some some paint laters trying to match some of the less blown out spot's colors...also added a bit of depth to the background...anytime you dink with someone else's image, it starts getting a little weird...:lol:

View attachment 33975

Hey Sorry CB, you got lost in the shuffle. Nice edit. You toned it down just enough to bring back a little texture.
I have lightroom coming this week. I'm hoping editing is a little better then Paintshop 5

is this better?

Nice Charlie! You got over ran in the posts and I missed this. I need to play with it some more and try to replicate your version. I have no idea if there's any difference, but I have lightroom ordered and I downloaded the 17 hours of tutorials that were offered free this month. I'm hoping PP will come a little easier. I'm currently using Paintshop Pro 5, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Photoshop CS5 here.... and I am not really that good at it... lol! I have so much to learn....

Most reactions

Back