Still using Tamron ALL 18 270 mm... whats wrong with me... i bought

another Tamron lens Sp 70-300mm F/4 -5.6 and it drives me crazy to get a decent clear in focus photo........ i do not mind doing it manually.. but it just seems like i spend so much time trying to focus that it takes out the joy of using that lens...The tamron all in one my photos are very decent..... at least in my opinion .. is there something wrong with my new lens...? I have the D7100 Nikon..ANYONE else experiencing this disappointment...... i am sure i could have spent the money better....... here is a today photo of my lens tamron all in one 18-270mm which i primarily use everyday for work..this photo is my 11 month old dobie puppy.. I will take one using the Sp 70-300mm F/4 -5.6 for comparison in next post .....thanks for any helpView attachment 116747
I hope you will be luckier then me with my Doberman, got him when he was few months old and after we had him for a year with no special events he turned on me for no apparent reason and the next day attacked my wife, they couldn't stop the bleeding for 24 hours and she still bare the scars from that event.

Not a huge fan of superzoom do it all lenses, they are ok but I like dedicated lenses that are designed to do a certain job well.
Nice picture btw.
Hi good to see you again.. you helped me a few times in the past.... then life became a little busy and except for using the camera for work on a daily basis.... my learning lessons came to a complete halt.. i am back now and hoping to progress because i need to now..I am still busy but determined to always make time since i enjoy photography so much...i will give it priority..
I am super sad to hear about your dobie...i can only say that sometimes bad breeding or sickness can have this impact on disposition in any breed,,such as a brain tumor or even hormones that are out of whack..I have a 5 year old dobie and a collie and 11 month old dobie pup.. this 11 month old has been a rough super energetic puppy to raise.. but the one quality that really stands out is his loving heart.. he does not have a nasty bone in his body.. good thing of course for the other dogs and us..he is exceptionally big with loving heart so you just need to be afraid he will crush you to death with his weight when he is trying to kiss you..

another Tamron lens Sp 70-300mm F/4 -5.6 and it drives me crazy to get a decent clear in focus photo........ i do not mind doing it manually.. but it just seems like i spend so much time trying to focus that it takes out the joy of using that lens...The tamron all in one my photos are very decent..... at least in my opinion .. is there something wrong with my new lens...? I have the D7100 Nikon..ANYONE else experiencing this disappointment...... i am sure i could have spent the money better....... here is a today photo of my lens tamron all in one 18-270mm which i primarily use everyday for work..this photo is my 11 month old dobie puppy.. I will take one using the Sp 70-300mm F/4 -5.6 for comparison in next post .....thanks for any helpView attachment 116747
I hope you will be luckier then me with my Doberman, got him when he was few months old and after we had him for a year with no special events he turned on me for no apparent reason and the next day attacked my wife, they couldn't stop the bleeding for 24 hours and she still bare the scars from that event.

Not a huge fan of superzoom do it all lenses, they are ok but I like dedicated lenses that are designed to do a certain job well.
Nice picture btw.
Hi good to see you again.. you helped me a few times in the past.... then life became a little busy and except for using the camera for work on a daily basis.... my learning lessons came to a complete halt.. i am back now and hoping to progress because i need to now..I am still busy but determined to always make time since i enjoy photography so much...i will give it priority..
I am super sad to hear about your dobie...i can only say that sometimes bad breeding or sickness can have this impact on disposition in any breed,,such as a brain tumor or even hormones that are out of whack..I have a 5 year old dobie and a collie and 11 month old dobie pup.. this 11 month old has been a rough super energetic puppy to raise.. but the one quality that really stands out is his loving heart.. he does not have a nasty bone in his body.. good thing of course for the other dogs and us..he is exceptionally big with loving heart so you just need to be afraid he will crush you to death with his weight when he is trying to kiss you..

Good to see you are continuing your love of photography :)

Awww I am so happy to hear your pup has a big heart.
My dog was acting very normal for a whole year and then one day he snapped, I think he tried to show he is the Alpha dog in the pack and he did it in a very scary and super aggressive way.
Well he was not in the pack after that, we left him in the city pound.
It broke my heart to do it but I couldn't trust him any more.

Nice picture btw.

My dog was acting very normal for a whole year and then one day he snapped, I think he tried to show he is the Alpha dog in the pack and he did it in a very scary and super aggressive way.

Nice picture btw.

Thank you.. maybe your dobie ended up in dobie rescue.. hoping he had another chance.. i am sorry to hear this story since i cannot even imagine the pain and suffering for all involved.. especially that there are no answers to this that could change the heartache..in plain english .. a true nightmare
yes i am back into learning and glad i have some good advice again from you

Today when i get back from errands i will try different settings as mentioned above hoping to achieve a good focus of the eyes and nose in balance..

shoot some static objects with your 18-270 ensuring you have nailed focus.

When I look at ratings, the 18-270 is pretty soft the more you zoom in -- even when stopped down to f/8.

thanks for additional advice....... will do...........i need to practice this more with the Tamron 70-300 ..this is the one i have the most trouble with..

thanks for additional advice....... will do...........i need to practice this more with the Tamron 70-300 ..this is the one i have the most trouble with..

On a zoom lens like that one try upping your shutter speed, I'd recommend you start at 1/500 and up if possible, should give you nice sharp pictures in most situations.

thanks for help

thanks for help

No worries, happy to help. I shoot a D7100 myself, love the camera. My preferred method is to put the camera in manual mode and set the auto-iso on with a max of 6400. This allows me to control the aperture with one control wheel, the shutter speed with the second and the camera selects the ISO based on my aperture and shutter speed.

I find it works extremely well, when shooting in automated modes the camera will often try to keep the ISO low by sacrificing shutter speed, but I would much rather push the ISO higher and keep my shutter speed up - I can always compensate for noise in post, but you can't fix motion blur or camera shake that way.

Pictures like the one shown, a rather close-up, fairly tightly-framed dog portrait VERY often have the same issue your example photo has: the nose of the dog will be decidedly out of focus, the eyes sharp. In your dog photo's case, the eyes appear to be roughly the focused area, and a bit of the neck and chest fur appears sharp and also within the depth of field band. The longer the nose of the breed, the more out of focus the tip of the nose and the forward muzzle areas tend to be. Again, this is a very commonly-seen problem in close-range shots like this: even at f/8, when the magnification of the subject is that high, there simply will not be much depth of field.

Black dog fur is not a really easy focus target, especially for a slowish lens like a 70-300, since the target over a lot of a dark animal is low in contrast AND also "flat" in terms of pattern or design or variation; the eyes however give a bit of variety, of variation, and you'd expect say a 9-point or 11- or 21-point autofocus pattern to look for "difference", and the eyes would give that, by creating edges. Edges typically are easily-seen things for an AF system.

For this type of close-up dog portrait on a long-muzzled breed like doberman, you'd likely need f/22, and a focus point that is NOT on the eyeballs, but instead about 3 inches in front of the eyes, in order to get more of the muzzle and nose into good focus, but to still have the eyes sharp. In your sample picture, there is some depth of field band that's positioned a bit behind the eyes, and which is effective wasted, let's call it. Again--this is a really,really common issue with dog portraiture, and f/8 is simply not delivering a lot of depth of field at such a close distance and high magnification.

I really do not mind if the very tip of a dog's nose is out of focus a tiny bit, or a small amount, but the more out of focus the nose and end of the muzzle are, the more the out of focus nature begins to look unintended, or less-than-ideal; on a human, we tend to look at the eyes, and we have a very short distance from tip of nose to the eyes; on a doberman, the distances are longer. Again, since part of the DOF band extends behind the actual point of focus, the goal with this breed of dog in this type of pose would favor focusing on the eyes, and then nudging the focus point 2.5 to 3 inches forward of the eyes, and hope to get the eyes at the back of the DOF band, and most of the muzzle and nose into the part of the DOF band that extends closer to the camera than the actual, precise focused upon distance: that adjustment with most AF zoom lenses is going to be very challenging to do on a regular basis.

thanks so much for all your help....... i definitly noticed the nose not being in focus. i did not realize this was a common problem so i appreciate that i am not alone but also that i want to perfect this..... i will practice until the cows come home.. i think this one is showing improvement..... all your help is so appreciated.......
more outside 028.JPG

thanks for help

No worries, happy to help. I shoot a D7100 myself, love the camera. My preferred method is to put the camera in manual mode and set the auto-iso on with a max of 6400. This allows me to control the aperture with one control wheel, the shutter speed with the second and the camera selects the ISO based on my aperture and shutter speed.

I find it works extremely well, when shooting in automated modes the camera will often try to keep the ISO low by sacrificing shutter speed, but I would much rather push the ISO higher and keep my shutter speed up - I can always compensate for noise in post, but you can't fix motion blur or camera shake that way.
It is going to be fun to try all these different settings.. i am enjoying experimenting and maybe i will even enjoy this newer lens

Pictures like the one shown, a rather close-up, fairly tightly-framed dog portrait VERY often have the same issue your example photo has: the nose of the dog will be decidedly out of focus, the eyes sharp. In your dog photo's case, the eyes appear to be roughly the focused area, and a bit of the neck and chest fur appears sharp and also within the depth of field band. The longer the nose of the breed, the more out of focus the tip of the nose and the forward muzzle areas tend to be. Again, this is a very commonly-seen problem in close-range shots like this: even at f/8, when the magnification of the subject is that high, there simply will not be much depth of field.

Black dog fur is not a really easy focus target, especially for a slowish lens like a 70-300, since the target over a lot of a dark animal is low in contrast AND also "flat" in terms of pattern or design or variation; the eyes however give a bit of variety, of variation, and you'd expect say a 9-point or 11- or 21-point autofocus pattern to look for "difference", and the eyes would give that, by creating edges. Edges typically are easily-seen things for an AF system.

For this type of close-up dog portrait on a long-muzzled breed like doberman, you'd likely need f/22, and a focus point that is NOT on the eyeballs, but instead about 3 inches in front of the eyes, in order to get more of the muzzle and nose into good focus, but to still have the eyes sharp. In your sample picture, there is some depth of field band that's positioned a bit behind the eyes, and which is effective wasted, let's call it. Again--this is a really,really common issue with dog portraiture, and f/8 is simply not delivering a lot of depth of field at such a close distance and high magnification.

I really do not mind if the very tip of a dog's nose is out of focus a tiny bit, or a small amount, but the more out of focus the nose and end of the muzzle are, the more the out of focus nature begins to look unintended, or less-than-ideal; on a human, we tend to look at the eyes, and we have a very short distance from tip of nose to the eyes; on a doberman, the distances are longer. Again, since part of the DOF band extends behind the actual point of focus, the goal with this breed of dog in this type of pose would favor focusing on the eyes, and then nudging the focus point 2.5 to 3 inches forward of the eyes, and hope to get the eyes at the back of the DOF band, and most of the muzzle and nose into the part of the DOF band that extends closer to the camera than the actual, precise focused upon distance: that adjustment with most AF zoom lenses is going to be very challenging to do on a regular basis.

Derrel... you are also right about the black fur...... not until you mentioned it.... i realize how many other photos of my collie and light colored dobie I like better.. .

Most reactions

Back