Stitched Landscapes/sunsets

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been playing around with Microsoft Ice. There are a few things that I haven't figured out yet, but it is pretty fun. I'm in between bird seasons as Ospreys have left and Hawks/Eagles are only starting to arrive, so I have been trying out some new things. These all look better if you click through to flickr.. I uploaded them at 5000 pixels wide. They are all handheld with different lenses/focal lengths. Comments welcome..

1 - 5 Shot Tokina 300 F2.8

Sunset Panorama 40.6 MP Stitch by krisinct, on Flickr

2 26 shot Nikon 28-80 G @ 28mm

Sunset Panorama 126 MP stitch by krisinct, on Flickr

3 4 shot Nikon 28-80 G @ 80mm

Sunset Panorama 28 MP by krisinct, on Flickr

4 9 shot Tokina 300 F2.8

Essex, CT, Stitched 9 Shots by krisinct, on Flickr

5 6 shot Nikon 18-55 VR @ 18mm

Looking North on the CT River - Stitched by krisinct, on Flickr

6 5 shot Nikon 18-55 VR @ 18mm

Lower CT River 5 shot Panorama by krisinct, on Flickr

Wow, these are great.

i really like number 4!

I wouldn't mind if the last one had the barrel distortion corrected though, its a little distracting.

Thanks everyone! That's one of the things I couldn't figure out.. I corrected the barrel distortion before I stitched them, but once they were stitched I couldn't figure out how to make the horizon straight...

I think most of these could benefit from more interesting stuff going on below the horizon. There's a reason they're called "landscapes" not "skyscapes." I think a good sky is generally a framing for something suitably interesting on the ground. Sky is icing on the cake. Without anything happening below, it seems more like icing on a piece of dry toast. For this reason, the bottom one is my favorite, despite the weird curviness.

As for how to straighten that, by the way, it's really easy:

1) Drag down a horizontal blue reference line from the ruler in photoshop
2) ctrl-A (select all)
3) Edit--> Transform-->Warp
4) Grab the the photo with your mouse right in the middle of the horizon, and simply drag it up until it is flush with the ruler line.

Ta da!

Last edited:
Yeah, was going to suggest using warp in PS.

Oh, I don't have PS.. maybe PSP x4 has it I will have to look...

The water on #3 looks a little odd (cause by the stitching?). It appears to have to different shades.

Thanks for sharing.

I like #1 & #3 too. Good color.

The water on #3 looks a little odd (cause by the stitching?). It appears to have to different shades.

Thanks for sharing.

Yup, it sure does. I tried shooting it in manual at first, but the dark side was too dark. There are 2 distinct lines in the water for sure. Not quite sure how to keep the exposure the same in such a scene with extreme brightness and darkness..

Most reactions

Back