Stocking up on equipment

Tkot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody - I'm a pretty recent addition to the photography community; been at it for about a year by my reckoning. At this point all I have is a Nikon D3000, an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens, and a UV filter. So, I'm looking to invest in some gear, but there are quite a lot of options out there and I'm not quite sure what to do.

So, I'm definitely getting a tripod, that's already in the mail. I'm not really sure what else I might want to get though. I don't really have room to set up any kind of "studio" in my living area, and I probably don't have the budget either. So, for right now I'm confined to portable stuff that can be stowed away when I don't need it.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts appreciated! Also, if possible, include a specific piece of equipment (ex. Instead of "Get some reflectors", "Get this specific set of reflectors from amazon. Make sure it's the one that comes with blah blah blah". See what I mean?)

Grazie mille in advance! - Tkot

Two bits of info are needed before we can make any suggestions::

1) Budget - whilst you don't have to stick to it, it really helps if we have an idea of what kind of spending power you have to put toward an upgrade.

2) What do "You" want the gear to do. Where do you feel your weaknesses in your current setup are - where do you want to take your photography? This is key info, because without it you'll just get a list of bits of gear that might or might not be of use to you,

I'd say, "do a search". There have been 8-10 lighting threads/studio-starting threads in the past two months.

Also, if possible, include a specific piece of equipment (ex. Instead of "Get some reflectors", "Get this specific set of reflectors from amazon. Make sure it's the one that comes with blah blah blah". See what I mean?)
Are you trying to indicate you're to lazy and unmotivated to do your own research into what gear would be appropriate to your needs and budget?

@Overread - 1) My budget is around $300-$400. By the end of the summer I'll probably have that same amount again to spend. 2) I want to be able to work with models more (but not in a studio since I don't have the budget or the room for one). I'd like to do portraiture, I'd like to do "posed" images (as in a situation but that isn't candid, it's a "set up" shot), that sort of thing. Also, I'd really like to mess around with HDR, now that I have GIMP, so that's why I thought to get a tripod. Mostly I just want to explore the options that the gear opens up for me.

@Derrel - Will do!

@KmH - Not so! For me, this IS research! It's not like I know I need x piece of equipment and I'm just trying to figure out which brand to get -- what I need to know is whether to get x, y and z or a, b, and c, and once I know that, then figure out what brand I want. I'd rather be able to talk with someone about what I should buy than just order something as a shot in the dark and hope it works for me. The fact that I'm asking for advice should indicate that I'm NOT "lazy and unmotivated"...

Last edited:
Adorama Flashpoint 320-M AC~DC monolights...buy THREE 150 watt-second 320-M models, each with a light stand and a softbox. These are affordable, and are "replaceable" as well. You do not need a lot of watt-seconds with today's digital cameras with ISO 200 to 400 capability that surpasses that of older, ISO 100 to 160 film stocks...in fact, having too MUCH power, like 300 watt-seconds per flash head, is often too much power for "people work". It's nice to have three to six flash heads to be able to light entire sets and entire rooms with FULL options. I would rather have four, 150 w-s flashes than two 800 w-s flashes. The need for power is grossly over-estimated by many beginners these days, and is fed by manufacturer and retailer advertising copy.

Great, thanks so much Derrel! Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for!

One question - When I worked as a photographer's assistant a few months back, she had a sync cord she attached one of her lights to her camera with, and the second light fired in sync without also being hooked up to the camera (ie, it was wirelessly connected to the other light so that they both fired in sync). Will that work for these lights, or will I need to have a cord running from each of them to my camera? Also, any specific sync cords to recommend? (heh heh...) Thanks!!!

The Flashpoints come with a synch cord, and each light also has a "slave", which is a light-sensitive trigger that can "see" a rapidly-peaking light burst, and trip the flash it is controlling whenever it senses a rapidly-peaking light from another flash.
I shot with PC connection cords for almost two decades before "triggers" became the norm. The Flashpoints come with everything you need to synchronize two or three or four of them. Each light comes with its own PC connector cord, aka :"sync cord".

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@Overread - 1) My budget is around $300-$400. By the end of the summer I'll probably have that same amount again to spend. 2) I want to be able to work with models more (but not in a studio since I don't have the budget or the room for one). I'd like to do portraiture, I'd like to do "posed" images (as in a situation but that isn't candid, it's a "set up" shot), that sort of thing. Also, I'd really like to mess around with HDR, now that I have GIMP, so that's why I thought to get a tripod. Mostly I just want to explore the options that the gear opens up for me.

@Derrel - Will do!

@KmH - Not so! For me, this IS research! It's not like I know I need x piece of equipment and I'm just trying to figure out which brand to get -- what I need to know is whether to get x, y and z or a, b, and c, and once I know that, then figure out what brand I want. I'd rather be able to talk with someone about what I should buy than just order something as a shot in the dark and hope it works for me. The fact that I'm asking for advice should indicate that I'm NOT "lazy and unmotivated"...

+1

this forum is awesome
bigthumb.gif

I think the softbox and universal speedring will work....however, I'd suggest looking around the Adorama web site for an all-in-one deal,with a 320-M ,light stand, an umbrella, for $159, with FREE shipping in the USA.
FP320MK Flashpoint II 320M Monolight Kit, One 150 Watt Second Monolight with 8' Light Stand and 33" White Umbrella W/Black cover & Carrying Case

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
35mm 1.8 afs!!

Agreed! + 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 and 80-200/2.8 AFD!

Personally, there's NO WAY I would blow that much money on a studio with only a D3000 and 18-55. I owned everything in my signature before I felt comfortable owning my "studio" equipment. I have used each piece for it besides the 180/3.5.

Mark

@2WheelPhoto - I know right??? :lmao:

@djacobox372 and Markw - Sorry, but "50mm 1.4" doesn't really mean anything to me at this point... I know its a lens, but beyond that, I have no clue what you're talking about. From what I understand, you guys are suggesting that I get some more lenses before I go for lighting and whatnot. That right? Care to explain why (and maybe why you're suggesting those specific lenses?)? Thanks!

@Derrel - Oh, awesome, I like buying all-in-ones anyways, saves me some money there! Thanks for all your help!!!http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/members/30145.html

Most of the lenses above are so called "portrait" lenses. They are usually on the telephoto side of things and compress the image rather than expand it. The ones suggested are meant to be shot with a wide open or close to wide open aperture to throw the background OOF and separate it from the subject. While not necessary, these lens give extremely desirable results and also work great in low light. Getting a few nice lenses and maybe an sb600 or two can really make your portraits look great and minimize the amount of equipment you need to lug around if you plan to do on location shoots. Vivitar 285's also are a cheap alternative to sb600's.

Most reactions

Back