Stolen Print - How do I deal with it?

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently, a dear friend of mine sat for me for a couple of photo sessions. I am not a pro, I am a student. These photos were for an assignment. Many of the shots we took were nudes.

Two of the shots were to be used for my Mid-Term assignment. I had printed them out on fiber paper, and left them to dry on the drying screens in the lab.

This was on a Saturday night. When I went back on Monday morning to flatten the prints so they could be turned in, one of them was gone. Everything else I printed was there, but the nude I was planning to turn in was missing. I searched the whole room, and asked the professors and the parapro if they had taken it and put it somewhere. They had not. The only people who have access to this room are other photography students, photo department staff, and campus security....all in all, fewer than 50 people.

I'm thinking that this photo was not taken for it's artistic value. This young lady is quite the looker. Now, I am in a fix. I was able to reprint the shot, and force it dry so I could turn it in on time, but I have a wayword nude print.

This young lady trusted me enough to take her clothes off and sit for me, and now I feel as though I let her down. Some perv out there has a nude photo of her.

I've already put the wheels into motion through the photo department to see what might be done to recover it. All of the instructors know about the print, and have seen the other copy I made in case the thief tries to turn it in as his/her own, but I doubt that will happen.

My trouble lies in how I handle this with the model. She trusted me, and even though I didn't give the print away, I still feel like I violated her trust by allowing it to be stolen.

Any thoughts or suggestions? How would you handle this situation?

Agree with craig. Thats a damn tricky situation.

I agree, I would let her know what happened ASAP. Things like this do happen, and it wasn't intentional and she might not be that upset.

She wasn't as twisted out of shape as I expected, but she was a little bothered. The print is chalked up as lost to the ages, but if it turns up anywhere, or if someone tries to pass it off as their own, I'll bring down the wrath of God himself.

Facing that lady and telling her what had happened was an example of courage and honesty that we can all learn from.

Jim Hannah/veteran

If'n I had my own darkroom, I would concur.

The result of this incident is the reopening of the second darkroom at my school. This one is off limits to Photo1 students and is only open to intermidiate and advanced students. About 80% of the photo1 (Intro) students are only taking the class to fill an art/elective credit and have no real interest in photography, and therefore do not appreciate the sesitive nature of certain subjects. The intermediate and advanced classes only comprise about 12 students, all of whom are serious about their work as well as their peers'.

Efergoh said:
... but if it turns up anywhere, or if someone tries to pass it off as their own, I'll bring down the wrath of God himself.

Yes, do that! ... but try to do it in a way that YOU will not have to face any legal consequneces.

I know it is very tempting to beat up the culprit, but usually this causes more trouble than one would want ;)

I don't know if this will work now or not. Anyone who is an expert in the law for photography can tell you. Get the image actually copywrited by the US Copyright office. By doing so, if the image turns up on a web site, or in a mag.... You got em!

Guess what I found!!

My lost nude has been recovered, and the turd that stole it did try to pass it off as his own. I as delivering prints to be considered for a show. There were others there that had already been dropped when my eye was drawn to one that was familiar.

I told them that was my photo, and asked who submitted it. They wouldn't tell me who submitted it, and that I needed to prove that it was mine. So I went home and retrieved my negatives from the whole shoot.

I took my photo home (as well as the frame in which it was installed - I'll call it rent). My missing photo is now at home, but the council still wouldn't reveal who submitted the photo.

Wonderful news that you got the print back. I hope the council blacklists the person who tried to pass off your work as his/her own. There should be consequences for such behaviour.

Guess what I found!!

My lost nude has been recovered, and the turd that stole it did try to pass it off as his own. I as delivering prints to be considered for a show. There were others there that had already been dropped when my eye was drawn to one that was familiar.

I told them that was my photo, and asked who submitted it. They wouldn't tell me who submitted it, and that I needed to prove that it was mine. So I went home and retrieved my negatives from the whole shoot.

I took my photo home (as well as the frame in which it was installed - I'll call it rent). My missing photo is now at home, but the council still wouldn't reveal who submitted the photo.

They were right in not telling you (maddening though it is) as if they did and anything happened to the other (NON)photographer they could be held liable. It wouldn't really matter whether you had anything to do with it or not in a civil court. Bites but that is the way it is. mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back