Stone Arch....critique it

thanks for the reply Je-C...You are right...its a bridge support for one of the many bridges crossing the Mississippi river in Minneapolis. It showed signs of occupation inside...I looked to the right in the first arch and saw some type of clothing, a rubber glove and some garbage. Fairly filthy, but for some reason its interesting to me, and it was one of the nicest days of the fall season! I walked around the area for about 5 hours yesterday.

have a good one and thanks.

I really like this. The building has a lot of nice texture and I love how the coloring of everything almost makes it like a monochrome image. I think it could maybe be a little sharper? I am not sure. Maybe my glasses are dirty. :p

Nice shot, just a tad crooked to me though. I would love to see this in a BW rendition with a touch of film grain in it and a healthy dose of contrast :wink:

Just my opinion of course, but I like the way it looks in color as well 8)

Thanks for the comments oriecat and canonfan...

Actually the next thing I was going to try with this one was to render it b&w. I'll give it a try when I get an extra few minutes. Its been busy lately.

As for the crookedness, the pavement was slanting down and to the left. I thought about straightening the image, but then I was like..."thats probably going a little too far, the real subject is not straight, so I'll keep it how it is."

I've been trying to stray away from over-processing things of late. This one is manipulated, but I could have done much more.

Ok, enough of the rambling, Thanks for the posts and I'll work on a b&w rendition(s)

Have a good one!

I saw the B&W before I saw the color one. The color looks great too!

Did you change the pix to have that golden glow? Or was the sun hitting just right that day?

Hmm, I looked at the b&w version too, but I'm also undecided. I thought maybe I'd prefer the b&w since I'm usually true to form on that score, but the colour version surprised me. Maybe because it's a fairly colourless picture anyway.

Just looked at the b&w again and I do actually prefer that. Have you played around with the light on that one? It seems darker, moodier somehow, which goes with the subject matter I think.

Definitely a talking point anyway!

Hey mad_malteaser...thanks...I did actually adjust the levels just bit to "darken" the over-all photo a bit. I often times like B&W a with a little more contrast and less light; it adds a bit more mood as you said. Thanks!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back