Stormy Seascape. Dark & Moody

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Desi, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Desi

Desi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Storm over Ventura, California.

I'd love your opinion on this. Too dark? Too much contrast? No real subject?

My main beef with it is the ocean..too bright. Not sure that I could make that much better just by burning.

What do you think?

Desi

[​IMG]Storm over Ventura by Desi595, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think the levels work with each other, but I think... I might like to see the whole thing 1/3 - 1/2 stop brighter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Desi

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. This is sort of a new way of processing these for me. Always appreciate your opinion

4. sw_

sw_ TPF Noob!

Man, I kinda like it just as it is. That said, yeah a touch more exposure might be nice, but the mood is the subject in my eyes.

Nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know what impression you got while you were there in person, but I agree that it looks a bit underexposed. I do not advocate trying to burn down the ocean. The white foam naturally reflects more light than anything else in the frame, so it looks normal.

I would like to see it a bit lighter and in color. The sky directly above the beach is probably lighter than your immediate impression, since your attention was drawn toward the storm clouds, but I'll bet that if you looked straight up, you would be surprised at how much light was coming from the sky above you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Desi

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your comments, Designer.....sorry didn't reply earlier, I've been away.

Actually, the original was much brighter, as you surmised. Somewhat bland on the original raw image. The emotion of being there was of viewing something dark as it rolled by, while another storm clouds were headed right at me with a looming darkness. That's where my edit was going. Perhaps too dark, and that was my question. When I view it large, however, I seem to find the light in the image......but I have no plans on printing this large.

Desi

7. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, too dark.The whites are a bit lost to grey for my eyes and I think you are loosing a bit of drama. I'd go a full stop brighter and a black and white point adjustment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I like this image. Not sure what it was shot with but it appears underexposed (as others mentioned) maybe from too fast a shutter speed? Anyway, once you bump up the exposure, be prepared to re-fiddle your other settings, so may be better to start over. IMO, the water is fine, but the treatment in the sky is wonky, too much noise in comparison to water. My guess is that you over-did something in post. Start over, keep it simple start with the exposure, then move the tone sliders around. Don't underestimate moving the yellow and blue sliders. Watch out for sharpen and clarity tools with scenes like this, they present more issues then adding anything. Also, be careful with film simulation presets, I never have liked them and often are not even close to the real thing anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

This shot has a lot of potential, as other have stated, just a bit too dark. I like the blacks ... for me instead of a global adjustment, I'd makes some selective passes with the dodge wand over the clouds and foam. After all we are the "Shining Sea".

• Like Like x 1
  10. sarrasani

sarrasani No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

it's and old story......no real subject? Maybe, but is it really important.
    wonderful scene here, the scene is the subject. Excellent both composition and tones management, a pleasure to see.
    Sandro

• Like Like x 1