Straight from the camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tracy55, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Tracy55

Tracy55 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi am new. I've been teaching myself photography for around 9 months now I have been noticing so much more since carrying a camera. I've had discussions with people on facebook about editing photos, i prefer to keep my pictures as they come out of the camera no adding fake birds, sun, moon, adding colour or anything else or what is the point of seeing something you like then taking a picture but when you upload it to your computer you start editing the photo which then makes it fake. A lot of people disagree saying the editing is the best part. What are your thoughts I know this is a no editing site but I would be interested to know. Thanks xx

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowbear

snowbear Oh, hai. I iz bear. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You do realize that none of these things are new, that edits (major and minor) have been going on since photography was invented? That said, I will usually edit almost everything: tweak the exposure, crop, remove dust spots, straighten horizons, correct lens distortion, remove chromatic aberration, etc. it is very rare that I will remove or add an actual object.

I'm not sure where you heard this was a no-edit site.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mjcmt

mjcmt TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I myself restrict to a subtle editing to tweak a photo from original exposure and contrast, or for converting to a B&W image. I'm personally not into HDR photos w/ super enhanced colors, but some are . I like a more natural presentation, but everyone has their own opinion what looks best. It's all about your artistic view.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Whatever floats your boat. Maximum or minimal editing, or somewhere in- between, it's all good.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There really is no such thing as unedited photo. Every camera interprets the scene based on that brands secret sauce of picture controls to tweak colours, tone curves, contrast etc. etc. I believe in the individuals sovereign right as to what they wanted the final result to be so if they want to edit or make a composite, so be it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. vStiles

vStiles TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photography is a personal talent, like playing an instrument. Many genres, many ways you can articulate your art.

You certainly don't have to do anything they way anyone else does it. With photography, it's fully encouraged to find your own path, and that means you can edit, or not edit your images all you like.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to edit your photos. You WILL find, however, the more you learn, the more you grow, the more you WILL want to edit your photos some. Even just some simple things like colour balance adjust / a little dodge and burn here and there / some exposure tweaks.

No great photo is unedited. Even top pros like Lee Frost / Helen Dixon / Ross Hoddinott edit their photos - even just a little.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Do what you want. I personally try to get it right in camera to limit editing time.

• Like Like x 3
  8. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would rather take a good shot than make a good shot.
    But, with that being said, every shot that I feel is a keeper gets some minor adjustments in PS Elements. Just small adjustments to shadows and highlights. And lets not forget cropping.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As others have said edit or not it’s your choice just watch out for
    That will do I will fix that in edit/processing
    Get you images as close to being what you want in camera
    As for me I try to get it right in camera but I do some major editing esp on a 2metre panorama where I have to join 20 images.... making water /waves blend is a nightmare

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I sometimes edit portraits of my wife to slightly alter her body - this is partly self preservation :) ..... but mainly because I'm trying to capture how she looks to me, and in some photos this is not what I see on the screen.

I know some people get up-tight about creating artificial body images, as this can be unhelpful for the vast majority of people who don't starve themselves to look like fashion models, and the real proportions of her body suit me just fine, but in some photos she appears to have gained weight, or as in the example below, her legs looked shorter than they look in real life.

The image with car is unedited except for the black and white conversion, but in the image with bike I stretched her legs a little as the photo looked to have shorterned her legs somehow. But both the 'natural' legs and the edited legs look similar.

I used a 60mm lens on a crop sensor, so in theory this should not cause distortion, and tried to keep the camera square onto my subject, but her legs still looked shorter than in real life, so I adjusted the image back to 'reality'.

You can see that the front of the car looks normal, but the bike engine is slightly too tall and the wheels should not be round at this angle.

So my aim when editing is to move things back to what I saw when the 'SOOC' image does not look right to my eyes.

I sometimes need to do the same with skin tones, as the in-camera jpeg processor seems to lighten her skin. I've heard that this is because Fuji cameras are popular with Asian females, who crave white skin, whereas I like the 'dusky maiden' look. I blame this on the JH Lynch portraits I saw in my auntie's house during my formative years.

Comp (9).jpg

11. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you had not said I would not have know that you edited Mrs legs
    Nice images
    As I don’t do portraits I don’t have to worry
    Straighten up horizon is a norm for me and of all things removing rubbish from images
    On my panorama pics rubbish is a problem , sometime if the house building is old I remove modern add on’s like bright yellow gas pipe, the big flood/security light satellite dish
    A lot of my photography is indoors and I shoot tethered so I see the image on the lap top screen so most of those have minimal editing

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, I don't add birds, the sun and the moon, etc.! lol I don't do much editing. To me it's editing, an adjustment if needed. Unless you're doing photo illustrations or other creative work. And make it clear that's what was done.

I'd say that on social media etc. you'll more likely not find anything helpful. The best learning and critique to help me know how I was doing and what I needed to improve was taking classes or workshops. On social media it sounds like people like everything, I suppose in an effort to be nice, or to be a friend, etc. That's probably not going to give you a realistic idea of where you are with your photography. It sounds like you've found people on Facebook that are a bad match for what you're trying to accomplish.

And on a side note, look at the Terms before you post on a website, think about what you're putting 'out there' or on a specific site and why.