5651585894_ea09942c8b_b.jpg

5633695640_3d9ea13710_b.jpg

5594164548_5c8ec5405e_b.jpg

5866126307_a510f02b00_b.jpg

5527783231_657d61eec3_b.jpg

5524092413_1dafb1c62b_b.jpg

5501505510_503561f028_b.jpg

5541668117_38ef2c4305_b.jpg

This has been a project I have been at for a while, and figured I'd share some shots from it. There's tons more, but these are some of my fav's.

They are nicely done but after the first 4 or 5 they seem sort of, you know, similar.

Where does the art come into it?

And why was that comment necessary Traveler? Oh right it wasnt.....

Shalaby, I like em, great job isolating the subject and the people look happy / bemused.

do you just ask strangers on the street? I like your bokeh.

And why was that comment necessary Traveler? Oh it wasnt.....

I will assume that questions are real and not just a passive aggressive way of being a jerk and so I'll answer.

I think that any 'technique' becomes just a inutile habit if it doesn't aim towards some greater goal than just the repetition.
Here the OP has some of many very nicely done head-on shots of generally attractive, generally happy seeming people - all approximately the same, formatted landscape, background well oof.
If there is a greater point than this I can't see it.
If there is something more than just the collection of happy faces, it isn't obvious and it just seems a bit empty to me.

As to your comment about 'great job', shouldn't we be past the point of complimenting someone on technique issues alone?

Last edited:
I really like them! I think that it is awesome that you do this! Kind of inspires me to want to do it as well! Good day!

I also noted the uncanny similarity of each shot. I expect you (OP) chose each model carefully for their pleasant appearance and cheerful attitude. Must have taken all day to find that many smiling people.

The guy with the headphones is classic.

And why was that comment necessary Traveler? Oh it wasnt.....

I will assume that questions are real and not just a passive aggressive way of being a jerk and so I'll answer.

I think that any 'technique' becomes just a inutile habit if it doesn't aim towards some greater goal than just the repetition.
Here the OP has some of many very nicely done head-on shots of generally attractive, generally happy seeming people - all approximately the same, formatted landscape, background well oof.
If there is a greater point than this I can't see it.
If there is something more than just the collection of happy faces, it isn't obvious and it just seems a bit empty to me.

As to your comment about 'great job', shouldn't we be past the point of complimenting someone on technique issues alone?

The OP wasnt asking if his work met your criteria for "artistic" or if his collection was dynamic enough for a solo exhibit. He was showing off work he was proud of, and indavidually the portraits are quite well done. They are all landscape but are all technically fine, sharp, clear subject etc. Why should this offend you?

Oh, and I was being a jerk. Sending your own rhetoric back at you.

I think you have nailed the subject in each shot with a beautifully clear sharpness yet with a requsite softness in their skin tones and with fantastic overall color. I love each and every one of them. And oh, that bokeh is wonderful. Each should be a post card that belongs to the person you shot. They are all lovely people to look at.

You have this type of shot (and with young jcrew types) mastered as far as I can see. :thumbup: Very nicely done.

If I was to go to a driving range and see someone who was obviously very talented just hit shot after shot with the same club, nailing the same 300 yard sign right in the middle. And he did this day after day, shot after shot, I would despair that someone with such obvious skill wouldn't want to give up just hitting that sign with that one club and turn his skills to a bigger game.

Oh, and I was being a jerk.

Good job.

WOW!! How did you get Phil Collins to stay still for a photograph? (#8)
Great shots, I like them all.

The point of this project wasn't about creating "art" as you refer to it as. The rest of my studio work, where I get creative with different lighting technique I consider more 'artistic', sure, true enough.

This project was more of a... how do you say... I can't really put it into words. It was all about capturing complete strangers off the street.... more so, having them actually allow me to take their photo. To get them to seem comfortable and relaxed as if they knew me. That was my goal. For a piece of their personality show in each shot.

"where's the art"? I'm sorry but I cannot answer that for you. Art can be anything these days... I wasn't trying to get 'crazy artistic' with these. This was just all about capturing strangers, and the thought evoking period one may go through when they think "how did he get all these people to allow him to take their shot". Thats it. Thats all I was after. But I can see it's not everyones cup of tea, perhaps thats why it was suggested of me to make a coffee table book out of it (pun intended) :) - but I doubt I'll ever really go as far as self publishing a book from this.

All landscape was on purpose. I wanted to capture the essence of the "street" and "people" behind them. So its not in doubt where there shot were taken. All just complete strangers, in the streets.

Art? You decide. A challange? Surley! My goal was to get people to look as if they were getting their portait taken by their friend. That was my biggest goal. For everyone to look comfortable, calm and relaxed. For a piece of their true personality to shine through a bit.

Repeatitive? Sure. But I wan't trying to make it about different compositions and angles of shots, etc... I leave that for my model testing and fashion/editoral work. No, rather this was just meant to be interesting in the fact that complete strangers would allow... well, a complete stranger, to take their portrait on the street. Thats all.

Technically, I like most of them. However, I feel misguided too by the project title. I expected a variety of characters, similar to the variety you find on the road. Here there are only beautiful people, mostly young, which give their part to the picture pleasure perhaps more than technique.
Something like "Beautiful strangers project" would be more appropriate (this having seen only these).

Regarding what can be told and what not, a project is a project, something with a reason and some intellectual guide, which can (and, o a photography forum, should) be critiqued. It's not just a series of portrait exercises. I'm sure the OP understands more this point, since he/she titled "project" and not "some protrait of") ;) .
By the way, I recently visited Helsinki and in a museum I found a series based on who speaks a language close to extinction: Front page | Kaikki kielen puhujat -30 | Ateneum Art Museum (this to tell that series like this have a reason, typically, and the portrait becomes an instrument for doing something wider).

EDIT: I was writing together with the OP, so now I know more about the underlying reason, which I appreciate (total strangers allowing you to take a picture). I also imagined why to use landscape orientation (but some more DoF would help in recognizing better the environment). However, I stand on my first point: I'm not sure a person with some less esthetical self-esteem is so easy to photograph :) .

Last edited:
Absolutely love the shots! Besides all that discussion about art, the name of the project, etc etc... I can definitely say this set, as a project, is superb! :thumbup:

Would you mind explaining -in general- how you took them? I mean, the lens and parameters used... composition... etc.
I'm just taking my first steps in the photography world, so it really helps with my learning to know that kind of stuff.

Thanks and congratulations for the pics!

Regards,
LizardKing

First, I want to say I really like the photos and the project. Nice shots and great expressions throughout. Taking shots of strangers on the street can be much harder than it seems.

Second, I want to add that I don't think you should worry too much about some of the comments. What I can tell about the majority of the photographer community is that they are generally just as close minded about things that are different as the mainstream is. Many believe if it's not a shot of a landscape, old/young person, colorful doorway or window, or a colorful repetitive pattern, its probably not artistic or worthwhile. (lets not forget about the flowers) ZZZzzz

Keep it going and nice work.

^ No worries mate - I'm taking all the negative bla about project and title with a grain of salt.

For those "misguided" by the title... really? I mean, really? What did you want... candids of random people? Or those not so candid when they realize a lens is being pointed at them, and they look at you just before you click and you get these "who's this weirdo taking my picture?" expressions. Is that what you hoped for? lol... sorry to dissapoint.

Not to boast too much, but I'm proud of my project. Its not easty to capture people the way I did. (Whoever thinks it is, go ahead and try). Its not easy to get the lighting you want. Its not easy making strangers look the way you want, and most importantly comfortable and at ease. It's not easy one bit. But hey, haters will hate.

You want art? Here - here's some "art". Its a shot I took of the inside of a laundry dryer:

5469601203_182d5d11e1_b.jpg

Nice pattern, right! Art, right! *sigh*

I'll tell you one thing - I'm more proud of my Strangers Project than this shot I took, lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back