Stratolaunch

That’s crazy! Where will the rockets launch from?

Will this mean more leg room?
Shirley you jest!

With two (not just the old-fashioned one) fuselages, there is a better than average chance your luggage will not deplane with you.

(passenger) Oh, you mean my luggage was in the LEFT fuselage, when I was in the RIGHT fuselage! Well how did that happen? When will I see my luggage again? Are you going to at least give me a toothbrush?

What is the advantage of that huge, expensive thing with all its development, crew and maintenance costs versus simply using an additional rocket stage?

Last edited:
Reusability, and launching from altitude allows for more payload in the rocket because the rocket needs less fuel.

But, it's not being "launched from altitude." It's being launched from the ground. They're just using jet fuel in a 300 million dollar aircraft in place of rocket fuel in a lower stage to get it up to altitude. And, then they have to maintain and house that aircraft. Is it really cheaper than just making another lower rocket stage?

But, it's not being "launched from altitude." It's being launched from the ground. They're just using jet fuel in a 300 million dollar aircraft in place of rocket fuel in a lower stage to get it up to altitude. And, then they have to maintain and house that aircraft. Is it really cheaper than just making another lower rocket stage?

I suspect that depends on the frequency at which you plan to launch rockets.

Rocket fuel is RP-1, a highly refined form of kerosene, & an oxidizer - usually liquid oxygen.
Stratolaunch doesn't need an oxidizer.
In 2011 Elon Musk said fuel for the first stage of a Falcon 9 cost about $200,000.

Stratolaunch/747s burn a somewhat different (from RP-1) type of kerosene known as Jet A, though when it's cold they burn Jet B for its enhanced cold-weather performance.
Right now at Mojave Air and Spaceport, which is where Scaled Composites is based, Jet A is $4.57 a gallon.
Falcon 9 has 9 rocket engines that burn fuel at a very much higher rate than the 6 jet engines Stratolaunch has.

According to the Wikipedia page, a Falcon 9 Full Thrust mission (allowing booster recovery) was about $62 million in 2016 - new first stage booster.
Missions using recycled first stages cost less. I don't know how much less because it's more recently Space X has used recycled first stages.

So the question boils down to - How many Stratolaunch missions does it take to cover the cost of building, operating, and storing the aircraft.
Obviously, Scaled Composites believes they'll be able to make a profit.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back