Straws and Light

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying new things with my newly purchased macro rig, as follows:

D70, mounted on unitor (cheeeeeap) bellows (needs 3 extension tubes to clear the mount!)
Old MF Xenit 135mm f/3.5 reverse mounted on the end of the bellows
Tripod with pistol-style head
3x desk-mount flexible lamps (tungsten)

Had a go at shooting the ends of these straws this morning - not sure what to make of the results... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Leeko

4497de1f35a74f02.jpg

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is an abstract that I like quite a bit here!
Lovely play with the patterns of the straw and the lights!
While I am a bit at a loss with your description of the set-up used for this (not because you are not expressing yourself, but because I understand so little of the matter :roll: :er: ), I do like the outcome! :D

OP
L

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments folks,

it's good to see how other people view your work... I wasn't sure if I liked this shot, but it's had one of the most positive responses of all the pics I've posted.. Guess I have some weird preferences

Thanks again,

Leeko

Chiller

Mental case
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really dig this one. Very abstracty

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I were in your shoes and shooting these straws in different shades of color, what I probably would have done is gotten hundreds of them put them together in a tight grid, say 500x500 straws and elevate some of them to make it look like a wave. Then, I would put the light on them and made it look like "a sea of color", yet I would still angle my lens close-up enough to let the viewer still recognize that they were looking at straws.

I'd probably pull my lens out to something like 35mm, which on film is a good enough wide angle for a shot like this. I'd play around with tilts and such to maybe try and give it a turbulant look to it.

Most reactions

New Topics