Street People- Life Is Rough

shuttercraft

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mwilbourn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you think? These are some homeless I met on my walk in town today. The guy on the left fought in Vietnam and is kinda crazy. The guy on the right was very nice and very sharp. I talked with them for a few then snapped 5-6 photos.
37138913.jpg

Last edited:
These are nice shots! :)
You did chop a tiny bit of the top of the 2nd guys hair off.
I hope you gave them some money or food or something. ;)

These are nice shots! :)
You did chop a tiny bit of the top of the 2nd guys hair off.
I hope you gave them some money or food or something. ;)

Thanks, I purposely framed the shot like that. I did not give them money and they live off of food-stamps. What I gave them was company. Something they do not get a lot of.

Thanks, I purposely framed the shot like that. I did not give them money and they live off of food-stamps. What I gave them was company. Something they do not get a lot of.

Love the company idea, takes a strong person to just sit and talk with these guys.

May I ask, what was the purpose of framing the shot on purpose like that, to cut the top of his hair off?

Love the company idea, takes a strong person to just sit and talk with these guys.

May I ask, what was the purpose of framing the shot on purpose like that, to cut the top of his hair off?

I wanted to keep the shot really tight. I also wanted the texture of the jacket in the shot. I thought that would be the best frame. Many big name headshot photographers frame shots just like this. Take a look at photographer Peter Hurley's (http://www.peterhurley.com) work. Most of his head shots are shot from below or above and the frame is tight on the face cutting the top of people's hair off.

When you follow rules just for the sake of following rules you should rethink things. I went outside of the portrait laws because I thought this frame better fit the image. I have some shots that display the full head but I like this one much more.

Last edited:
I like the photos, good job! Not keen on the post processing (this is all personal preference) I prefer photos like these in B&W, sharp and with a lot of focus on the eyes. The second one seems to have the nose more in focus as opposed to the eyes. It seems as though the pictures are slightly overexposed, where the light is bouncing off the skin seems to have lost a lot of detail to those parts of the image. But those are just my personal crits. Aside from that they're awesome!

I must say I disagree wholeheartedly - not saying that the OP isn't a strong person, just that you don't need to be. My experience is that street people are much less judgemental and demanding when you're taling to them. It is actually easier to just be yourself around them!

I will dig up a photo next time I get the chance where I parked my tripod on a bridge one night to take some light trail photos of the cars passing below. A street-couple came walking past with their dog and asked me to take a photo of them. When I agreed the woman started posing like a real doll of a model!

I have not taken many photos of street people but I always find them easy to talk to. Unassuming and unpretentious.

I think they look great! Well done in my eyes :)

I have always loved Street photography. I started in this field. :) Street photography has been a way for us, photobuds, to hang out and have fun..I miss good ol' times when we weren't yet so busy with our lives. I so miss the streets :)

One of the ever most popular subjects we have are Old people with deep wrinkles and out-of-this-world expression :) here's my contribution for the thread!

3932526868_25025b8d13.jpg

Very cool. I think you managed to capture just how rought their lives are. Seeing images like these make me realize how truely blessed I am. Great job.

The photos are good, but I do not necessarily think the capture the rough life these men may exist in as single photos you have posted. I have seen many people who look like they may have it rough, but actually lead decent lives. Life is not always kind...

To capture "rough existance", I think some of the background may help. Commentary seems to always help with this type of photography as well.

beautiful shots. Makes me think...Most people go take a portrait after a fresh bath with a fake smile, those portraits say nothing. These guys had no idea they were going to take a portrait that day, yet they came out so strong and say so much. Very nice.

I have always loved Street photography. I started in this field. :) Street photography has been a way for us, photobuds, to hang out and have fun..I miss good ol' times when we weren't yet so busy with our lives. I so miss the streets :)

One of the ever most popular subjects we have are Old people with deep wrinkles and out-of-this-world expression :) here's my contribution for the thread!

3932526868_25025b8d13.jpg

AHHHHHH!

Sorry. Scared me for a moment.

The photos are good, but I do not necessarily think the capture the rough life these men may exist in as single photos you have posted. I have seen many people who look like they may have it rough, but actually lead decent lives. Life is not always kind...

To capture "rough existance", I think some of the background may help. Commentary seems to always help with this type of photography as well.

are you really serious? I guess you are because the guy on the left sure does look like he has it easy huh. So easy that instead of pulling out his Ralph Lauren Polo shirt, he chose his torn up hoodie. And the guy on the right just chooses to ignore his big beautiful shower he has in his $300k house. Cmon man. :thumbdown:

Wow Kudos! These are amazing, i've always wanted to do this but never had the courage to take my camera downtown Vancouver! To the East Hastings side.

Most reactions

Back